Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 5D or 7D

If you're after something slightly cheaper the Canon 60D is the next one down, but the specs are almost identical to the 7D. Both shoot in 30/25/24fps(1920x1080) and 60/50fps (1280x720), both have identical ISO ranges... The thing I like about the 60D also is it has a flip-out lcd screen, which the 7D doesn't - useful if you're shooting at awkward angles! 60D is 300 ish cheaper, nice!

2. Default

I really am considering one of these but 3 factors.
    Is it possible to fit a mic to these?
    Do DSLR cameras fit into normal tripods and dollys? otherwise my collection would be a waist!
    How big is there hard drive for footage? i was told only 15mins?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    And then it has a max recording time of a measly 12 mins in HD, so you're talking about buying several memory cards that aren't cheap.
    Sorry Swoopie, this kinda suggests that one can only get 12 minutes and thats it from these cameras, just to expand a little on that.
    The record period for each take is recomended at a max of 12 minutes in order to protect the chip inside from burning out. However hours of footage can be obtained in tons of takes using DSLRs, the only limitation here is indeed the size and amount of cards you have.
    If your filming skating stuff, no trick is going to last 12 minutes. So film each trick for the minute it might last, then film the next and the next and the next until your done and hey presto, you have half hours worth of footage to play with.

It is pretty obvious stuff and I doubt that your original message intended to imply anything other, but those who have not yet delved into the world of DSLRs might be deterred if they dont fully understand how it all works and get confused by the 12 minutes thing.
    I wouldn't recommend a DSLR to record an entire wedding ceremony or hour long gig as it simply wont record continuously for that long, but for anything made up of shorter takes such as short films, music vids and even more predictable sporty action stuff, then they will do the job.

um, yeah.. thats it.
    :p

Quote Originally Posted by ShanFilm View Post
    I really am considering one of these but 3 factors.
    Is it possible to fit a mic to these?
    Do DSLR cameras fit into normal tripods and dollys? otherwise my collection would be a waist!
    How big is there hard drive for footage? i was told only 15mins?
    You can attach a mic to the 5D or 7D and get basic sound, however the ability to monitor and adjust sound isn't really there yet. If sound is vital to you then most people purchase a separate audio recorder, such as the zoom H4N. There is an internal mic on the cameras for basic sound recording. Most use this as a reference to sync up audio recorded separately.

As long as you have the base plate for your tripod, it'll attach the same as any other camera.

The amount of footage depends on the size of the flash cards you have
    15minutes is not the total amount you can record period
    The time that you press record to the time you stop recording is recommended at 12 minutes max. However you can do this over and over again until you fill your flash card. The total amount will all depend on the size of the flash card and the size of the footage you are shooting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12