Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D or 7D

1. Default Canon 5D or 7D

So i have decided to go the DSLR way because its great value for money! Just wonder cause i cant really spot the difference other than the 7D is newer. What is the difference between the canon eos 5d mark ii and the canon eos 7d mark ii.

Btw does this support memory cards?

I believe the 7D can shoot at 60fps which will allow for slow motion shooting, the 5D doesn't allow for this at the moment. Might be a good choice for you because if I remember rightly your going to be shooting snowboarding?? or was that someone else?

I don't think this type of camera is the best choice for filming snowboarding. If you have been impressed with the shallow depth of field you can get with DSLR lenses then trying to keep a fast moving object in focus with a 7D will be challenging. Having said that you don't have to open up the iris just because you can.

4. Default

yes martchap thats me haha, yeah looks like the 7D will be the way to go, if it does shoot 60 fps.

I know what you mean blue, but i want to make a really quality movie and after seeing other clips both skating and snowboarding shot on a 7D and 5D it looks to good to resist. But if i dont open the iris as much i will find it easier with the focus?

Quote Originally Posted by ShanFilm View Post
    yes martchap thats me haha, yeah looks like the 7D will be the way to go, if it does shoot 60 fps.

I know what you mean blue, but i want to make a really quality movie and after seeing other clips both skating and snowboarding shot on a 7D and 5D it looks to good to resist. But if i dont open the iris as much i will find it easier with the focus?
    If your after the narrow DoF you have to open the iris (low F No.) If you close the iris you don't get the narrow DoF, so it's easier to get fast moving things in focus. So that is why I would recommend a different camera ie a video camera and not a stills camera. Yes the 7D with a nice lens used correctly can give you a beautiful image. I suppose you will be able to get some nice stills from it. Have you see the New Panasonic F100. Or the Sony equivalent. They have interchangeable lenses and are a proper video camera with plenty of manual controls, XLR inputs etc. It's really nice.

6. Default

thanks man, i cant find the f100 anywhere, know a website that could have it?

Sorry that's my fault its proper name is the Panasonic AG AF101

Sample Video

#!

Some other interesting video about it

Panasonic WebSite Page about the AF101

And no I'm not a Panasonic sales man.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.

I'm not sure what a great value these DSLR cameras are myself. You're talking around $2,000 for a 7D with just one lens, but you'll need at least three. And then it has a max recording time of a measly 12 mins in HD, so you're talking about buying several memory cards that aren't cheap. And then you'll need something to record sound with. By the time you're done you'll be spending closer to $3,500 and for that you can get a very good camcorder that's a hell of a lot more flexible. Of course camcorders are starting to go the DSLR route too, and that will be a different story.

9. Default

so i had a look at the panasonic and its great but i cant the 101 only the AG-AF102EN in australia and can't even find somewhere that sells it, but it looks like the camera! I am worried that i can only get 12mins on HD on a dslr. Going on a 4 month snowboard filmolgy could get very hard with that kind of capacity! but if i can get a price of the panasonic that would be great! but i reackon it will be about $10,000 anyway. out of my league :(

Canon 5D was my first full frame camera. The batteries Canon 5D camera use really do hold a charge for a while. I used mine with the battery grip at the wedding, and the two batteries after going for over 500 shots (maybe close to 600 shots that day?) still had about 72% charge each left on them.LCD screen is gorgeous. 3" diagonal with 900,000+ pixels. It's possibly the best quality LCD screen ever put on a DSLR. Also The menus are easier to understand and navigate than the 1DS Mk2's menus. It has huge 21 mega-pixel RAW images are excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast