Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threesome - short skit

Wink Threesome - short skit

Hello everyone!
    so as I said in my last post I was going to post my latest video. as you can see there is quiet a big change. lot more editing and a more cuts.

I'd love to hear anyone opinion on any aspect.

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

I totally fail to understand what's meant to funny in this - but I do like the way you've filmed and edited it. Nice use of sound on the Facebook popup. One thing you could do is to feather the join down the centre of the table and window - there's a definite line down the centre...

yea well it is not my funniest video, I am mainly trying to get the technique down. but I guess it is also for another audience as well.
    for the line I tried to make it as discreet as possible. the problem was that I knocked the camera while I was switching cloth and the camera also turned off and reset the white balance. yea... there are the problems when you don't have much time to film and you do everything on your own.

thanks for the comment though

Well Andy you must have bionic eyesight or I need new glasses I can't see the join. Much improved production value in this video. I liked the edit at the end where you zoom in, very effective. Some amusing bits the misunderstanding about the threesome and the Facebook/Myspace bit with Tom as his only friend. One thing that struck me as a bit odd with the lighting off the long shot. The background is better lit than the people. I know you make an effort with your lighting and it has improved, so I don't want you to think I'm just nick picking about this.

By the way I just noticed how much you look like Dave Lister from Red Dwarf with the Vlad hat on. Don't tell me Craig Charles is your Dad.

3535022_gal.jpg

Blog Entries

This is a step in the right direction, production wise. Your sound is superb, helped by your natural voice having a nice warm and "rounded" tone and the laid back delivery. Greta use of SFX too as Andy has said.

I liked the think bubble moving around. I'm sure I'll nick this. Was it a ready made plug-in or did you do it yourself (creating the mask fron scratch etc).

Have you swapped the video since Andy's comments? I've just watched widescreen in 1080 and, like Midnight, cannot see the line on the table. There's a noticable one on the blinds, but that has clearly been blurred and that's only noticable cos I'm looking for it!

Having said I don't like the Russian Vlad in one of your last vids, I was more drwan to him in this one. I anticipated, but enjoyed the threesome gag and found the whole thing gently amusing rather than rib-ticklingly funny.

It was very watchable though.
    Tim

Thanks guys!
    and no I haven't changed the video. I am not sure but possibly Andy was able to see the difference because of his screen calibration, but I think he was looking for it as well. (he might confirm that) because I see it my self as well but as you said Tim, it is because I am looking for it and I know where it is but in the next videos it will be improved in other videos. here it was a mistake.

for midnight blue haha I see where you see the resemblance , but no I'm sorry I am not related haha.
    Lighting here wasn't perfect I know it was my new light kit but I didn't change the lighting through the whole set (you can actually see the pole of one of the lights behind Vlad on the wide shot) but I was wondering if I should have moved the lights around for the different shots? or will it look weird? because I have seen some video where they would move the light and it was obvious. so if anyone has tips about that.

For the bubble it was all made from scratch. it is a photoshop file, with a feathered mask and than some motion. I should have tracked the bubble to vlads face, I think it would have been even better. I guess for next time. or maybe for you

and for Vlad. I am trying to make him more human. i think the conversation style helps a little. just one character talking to a camera is a bit raw...

thanks for your comments!

In general I like where your going, I wasn't keen on your Russian Character before either, but I think he plays fine here. Perhaps this relates to having a balance in characters, this is something comedy double acts have done for decades. I think it works very well with you playing both parts, but I also think when you are being the more normal character it stands out a little more that your talking to a camera rather than to Vlad.

I like your sequence at the start, it does work, and I also like that your starting to think about the edit. I get the imression you shot it then worked out how to put it together. A bit of deeper thought in pre-production could take it to the next level. One point that helps me say what I mean is when you cut to a close up of your chip flourish, there's a discrepancy, you hold the cards in both hands, cut to holding the chips, and cut back to holding the cards. In relation to this moment your clip does work as it is the timing of the edit that gets it through, and you definately don't want to have every edit a continuation of true life action. You would end up with a real time event on screen.

It's just someting for you to think about, careful attention to continued motions, combined with the timing of the edit can take it to the next level.

With your lighting query, Ideally you want to work out in advance all your camera positions, light the scene to suit all of them, and leave it that way. Then you have consistent lighting throughout. Relating more specifically to shooting this type of effect, you need to light it paying attention to both characters (and the shadows they cast), even though your only shooting one at a time, this will also rule out any mismatch issues at the seam.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 01-14-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.Y.O.F.F. View Post
    ...but I think he was looking for it as well. (he might confirm that) because I see it my self as well..
    Guilty as charged. Ish. I was looking at the window in the background, noticed the line and then followed it down. I could see some blockiness on the table too - I don't think that's an encoding issue though as there's no movement.

I think though, even accounting for my humour bypass, the whole thing rated quite well - I was just being anal. As usual.

9. Default

Hey dude, completly off topic, how old ru? when you talk and the close-ups look like ur bout 25 but from the long shots they make you look like a kid

David: thanks for your critic. it is very helpfull, I will definitely try to take in account of what you said in my video. But for the lighting after thinking for a while I think the darkness might be due to the lens I used for the wide angle shot. it isn't the same one as the close up and I think there is quiet a bit more vigneting plus it has a hard time staying in focus on the side. not the best lens. but does the job when I don't have enough space to back up enough.
    I will definitely try to plan ahead a bit more. I did here a little bit, I wanted to do more, but didn't manage. next video I will try to plan every shot, and I know it will also help me on the filming and editing process.

Andy: anal is good it is always helpfull to get critics. the more opinion I have the better it is.

Charlie-editor: haha well, I am actually 20 so probably just right down the middle of what I look like
    But I see what you mean. looking at the wide shot i do look weird. I think it might also be the lens distorting a little

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast