Thread: Getting into editing.

Default Getting into editing.

Hey guys, I'm new here and I want to start to get into editing.
    My question is very simple, what is the best software to start with? I am looking for a good balance between user friendly and capabilities. please keep in mind that my pc is pretty old and for now I am dealing with very short clips. For starters, I want to add some audio to a short clip I shot.

Thanks in advance,
    Roy.

P.s I hope this is in the right section, I didn't see anywhere more general or suiting for this type of question.

Welcome to the forum Roy. I have found choosing the right software is a personal thing. I'm afraid I have to warn you away from Pinnacle it seems very "buggy". There are some free editing software trials I would recommend you try them out before you buy then. Because I use Sony Vegas I would recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio or Platinum or what ever it's called have a look at the Sony Creative website to see what fits your needs. There are some others like Adobe, Corel so have a good hunt on Google.

I took a look at sony's website. I see that there are 2 major editing softwares available. 1. Vegas pro. 2. Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite.
    What should I get? What would be more easy to handle?

They are both very similar if not identical in operation. I would recommend going for Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum as it is much cheaper than the Pro version and you can always upgrade to the Pro version if you want to later on.

Default An easy programme to start with

Hello Roy

I have had so much help from other people on this Forum I think it's time I gave a little back. But being a novice at video editing I cannot give you any advice that's too technical. I can only tell you the route I took.

I started with Windows Movie Make which comes with Windows XP, Vista and 7.

It is very basic but very simple and it got me started. I completed my first DVD, adding music to it, 2 years ago and have spent the last two years practicing on WMM.

At the beginning of January this year, I decided to take the plunge and try something a bit more complicated and downloaded a 30 day free trial of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 Production Suite.

It took me a long time to get started with it (could be that my brain is not as sharp as it used to be!!!) but with help and advice from this Forum I did get started and now am really enjoying it.

I hope this is of some help to you and look forward to hearing of your progress.

PegMac.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy.E View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new here and I want to start to get into editing.
    My question is very simple, what is the best software to start with? I am looking for a good balance between user friendly and capabilities. please keep in mind that my pc is pretty old and for now I am dealing with very short clips. For starters, I want to add some audio to a short clip I shot.

Thanks in advance,
    Roy.

P.s I hope this is in the right section, I didn't see anywhere more general or suiting for this type of question.