Thread: the craftsman/GH1, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm, Lensbaby

1. Default the craftsman/GH1, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm, Lensbaby

Hi guys,
    it has been awhile since my last post...
    lemme know what you think.
    more details here
    Mike Kobal
    cheers
    Mike

Blog Entries

As usual, Mike, very nicely shot. A much more laid back feel to it I thought. This was particularly unusual for a film with machinery in it where one might expect a more busy feel. I liked that. There was a bit too much shallow DOF for my liking, but I accept that's just my taste being out of step with the current trend.
    This also had a bit more of an obvious narrative to it than some of your other works, I was a bit lost with the drawing (crossword?) though - it didn't seem to lead anywhere or did I miss an element in the design?
    Tim

I loved it, even though it left me a bit unsure on a couple of points on what it is. It stats of with "the making of", At that point I thought it was going to be a making of a film type film. Then at the end it said the company name and at that point it seemed like an incomplete advert, the incomplete bit kind of made sence with the "to be continued", but the edvert bit never with the credits.

Other than leaving me not knowing what's going on I think it's a great little piece, it looks fantastic and the use of the machinery type sounds to tie into the music and rythm of the edit is of course excellent.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by mike kobal View Post
    lemme know what you think.
    e
    i think it would be cool if you could share your experienced eye in offering critique to other videos on here

I just watched this again, on vimeo this time, and seen that you linked to your inspration. So I watched that as well and got a bit of a surprise, I recon it went a bit further than "inspired by" on an artistic level. On a contentual level I seen something straight away.

It relates to the bit that felt incomplete about your version. With the original, I knew that it was about shoes long before the end of the film. With yours I never knew what the product was until I was told at the last minute.

In the original I had time to take this in. In your version it got to the point that I was told and I did want to know more (even though it's handbags, which is weird) but felt if I was to know more, I should have by then.

But maybe a handbag type person would feel different on that, I don't know.

David.

What would have been a really nice little piece, was for me, spoilt by the DoF being far to narrow to much. It's like taking the current trend to the extreme which just doesn't work for me when it's used throughout the video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What would have been a really nice little piece, was for me, spoilt by the DoF being far to narrow to much. It's like taking the current trend to the extreme which just doesn't work for me when it's used throughout the video.
    Completely agree! Shallow dof has its place - but not every single shot in my mind.... even if those shots are lovely...

One other criticism is - we don't get to see the finished article...

Loved it, wasn't confused at all that the product was a handbag. Wonderfully shot. Possibly ease of on the depth of field in some shots, just from a balanced composition point of view. Only because some of the best shots were so heavily blurred. Keep them that way and balance with some gentler.
    Like the fact that we are left guessing at what the finished article looks like. We can go to the website to find out. nice...