Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Words Review

Smile Two Words Review

Hi guys,

I've just started a new animated film review series on youtube. Each week I'll be animating two-word reviews to the most recent releases. This is very much in the early stages, so I'd be incredibly grateful for any feedback, positive or negative.

The youtube channel is HERE.

Thanks,

Blog Entries

Absolutely fantastic, Rob. But surely these should be in the "Just for Fun" section? You don't really want a critique do you?
    That's four of the five films for next VOTM sorted.
    Tim

I think it's an interesting concept. These are the types of videos that cam create a pretty good following.

I would suggest having music that does a little more than just play the same chord over and over though. But you're on the right track with the music. It should be a bit on the jovial side.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Absolutely fantastic, Rob. But surely these should be in the "Just for Fun" section? You don't really want a critique do you?
    That's four of the five films for next VOTM sorted.
    Thanks Tim. I could have put this in that section, but I'd love some constructive criticism. It really helps to push it forward, especially with something like this which will need to improve over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    I think it's an interesting concept. These are the types of videos that cam create a pretty good following.
    I would suggest having music that does a little more than just play the same chord over and over though. But you're on the right track with the music. It should be a bit on the jovial side.
    Thanks, yes I see where you're coming from with the music. I think I'll find some more music and alternate a bit to get some variety between the videos. Once there's a few on the youtube channel, it could get very monotonous otherwise.

Have you thought of using Alley Cat?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BritishEye View Post
    but I'd love some constructive criticism. It really helps to push it forward, especially with something like this which will need to improve over time.
    Fair enough, I didn't think it needed any, but then Swoopie came along and amde a good comment about the music - and followed it up with a great suggestion. Any idea what the copyright status is on that piece, Swoopie?
    The music hadn't bothered me until Swoopie mentioned it. Now I'm finding it really repetitive.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-13-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: tidied up formatting
    Tim

7. Default

I like it, music doesn't bother me.

I like the expressions the little guy does.

Me too, you've certainly managed to build character into that little rectangular block. In animation the most advanced intricate 3d model is nothing compared to a simple character like this if the animation isn't right.

Some of your shots show this character more than others, I suppose in a longer piece a character can be built up with it's collection of manerisms, and be understood/recognised at the less expressive times. The peperami "bit of an animal" adverts come to mind as a series of short animations that knowsit can't afford less expressive times and push high energy manerisms every time.

It has to be hard to get that in there with a low energy character, and with such short clips. While a character definately exists, the difference between the Avatar one (where the eyes are animated) and others is massive. I (probably we) watched these through one after the other, by the end we had a character. I'm not certain that would have happened to the same extent if the first one had been shown a few times, then the second one a few weeks later etc.

David.

Great suggestion Swoopie that music is perfect.

I agree with David Walsh the Avatar one was the best because of the expression you gave it. Anthropomorphizing the model makes all the difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    ...Anthropomorphizing...
    If I could pronounce that I'd agree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast