Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £5,000 Startup package

Cool £5,000 Startup package

Hi everyone,

My question is, if you were starting out with a budget of around £5,000 and a few ideas to cover commercial, domestic and news events what would be your ideal equipment package?

I’m liking the look of the Sony HVRHD1000U (two of them) and possibly a smaller unit as a backup (don’t mind if it gets wet or falls in the mud) third camera.

Is £5,000 realistic to purchase a two camera setup with basic lighting, editing equipment and software? I have some documentary ideas and would like to compile some pilot footage that could be used for TV.

I know it’s not a budget to drool over but what would you do with it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

My first consideration would be about the need for 2 (perhaps 3) cameras. Personally I'd put that same budget into a single camera.

Do you think this would be a possibility?

David.

Blog Entries

I'd agree with David. A single very good camera (used correctly) will trump two less able machines every time. Don't forget too - you'll need sound equipment (radio or fixed both if possible), a good tripod (don't skimp and buy a cheapy), probably basic lights, a decent PC, and some software to edit it all on. Then you'll need more hard drives to save all you precious work on, then you'll want another monitor to watch it back on. Then you'll want a custom built studio......

First off, thanks for taking the time to answer. I very much appreciate it.

David you make good points about the single camera option but I have decided on the two camera setup due to past experience.

It’s not just a quality issue at this stage (startup), it’s more about peace of mind. I was a “pioneer videographer” back in the 80’s using a VHS camcorder and equipment that would break a donkey’s back to lug around.

I did ok with a single unit but have nightmare stories about keeping my equipment running at crucial moments.

A vicar walked into my tripod and knocked the camera over in a wedding and broke the hand piece from the body (pointless claiming on the insurance as I’m sure they would have classed it as an act of god). The wires kept the hand held grip from separating but it was useless as a shoulder mounted camera and I ended up rushing out during a break to buy a couple of tubes of Araldite to glue it together.

The next day I was shooting a horse jumping event and the handle gave way again and the camera fell from my shoulder onto the ground. It carried on working but I was in more of a lather than the horses.

I ordered a replacement but in those days things took weeks to arrive in Wales and the following Saturday I had to film another wedding with my botched up repair.

I still drop a Valium into my wine glass every time I think back to those days.

I know that today replacements and equipment hire are easier but when equipment fails on the job it’s no good saying that you can get another one the next day.

A lot of jobs are best filmed from two points of view and it was my idea to have identical cameras to minimise the operator learning curve and mismatched quality and colour balance.

I know what you are saying Andy when you list the equipment and the …… Those dots always follow gadget equipment lists.

Maybe my question was a bit too general and I should do a bit more research and then offer my wish list up for advice.

As you get older you become more cautious. Not just because you have less confidence but you also have more experience or shall we say, references to influence you.

Thanks for your input, it’s great that people really take the time to help strangers.
    Kind regards
    Martin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by videoboyo View Post
    ..I was a “pioneer videographer” back in the 80’s using a VHS camcorder
    Panasonic M5 or 7 perhaps? I was there too!

Quote Originally Posted by videoboyo View Post
    ..it’s great that people really take the time to help strangers...
    You'll find the regulars here very helpful and accomodating as long as you don't start asking how to do a Star Wars light sabre effect. Even if you're Welsh!

A basic editing PC with Software will set you back at least £1200, that's if you shop around and don't insist on the current state of the art. You will need a basic lighting set up this would be around £500-£700. A reasonable tripod with head £500-£1000. Then mics and other sound equipment £500-£1000 depending on what you need. This doesn't leave very much to buy 2 cameras. I'm not trying to burst your bubble and I can see from your posts that you are realistic, so I hope you will think again about your requirements. You could do what I'm doing, which is stagger the purchases so your not hit to hard in one go. I have another income source so I can do it this way. If you are anything like me you will want the best equipment you can afford and compromising on this at the beginning is, in my opinion, a false economy. ie If you get say a PC which is just ok but struggles to edit HD footage, it will niggle at you until you take the plunge to get the one you should have got in the first place. Well that's how I am, I know we are all different.

As I'm in the start up stage as well, I know how difficult it is to know what is really needed and to be able to prioritise your purchasing. Good luck with your venture.

Thanks Midnight Blue, again some good advice that I will take on board. The more I research the more I realise that £5k is a pretty tight budget, your breakdown of costs is useful and from what I'm learning resonably accurate.

I agree that cutting corners to reduce costs can be false economy and I'm sure that is very true with regards to the editing suite.

I'm now considering a single Sony HVRHD1000U with a cheap backup (maybe used around £500). Then, as you rightly say I can stagger my spend as funds permit.

I think quality rather than quantity is the underlying tone of the advice.
    Thanks again for your answer and good luck to you also.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    A basic editing PC with Software will set you back at least £1200, that's if you shop around and don't insist on the current state of the art.
    As I'm in the start up stage as well, I know how difficult it is to know what is really needed and to be able to prioritise your purchasing. Good luck with your venture.
    Whilst that is probably true, Midnight, I beg to differ! I have just built a dedicated Video editing PC for around £400! It's not 'state of the art', but neither is it a pile of old tat! (I'll post details in the appropriate section later).
    Having had the experiences aformentioned, regarding equipment failure in the past, I can understand the OP's fear of 'all eggs in one basket', however, I also agree with concentrating on a single camera. Therefore my opinion is that the first and third camera in the original post would suffice, using the "smaller unit as a backup (don’t mind if it gets wet or falls in the mud) third camera." as a backup in case of disaster. The image quality of the circa £500 cameras nowadays is surprisingly good!
    With careful purchasing, the £5k budget can get you on the road, but get the best you can afford within that figure. Good luck.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Thanks Ian, looks like I'm already thinking in line with your advice, makes good sense.

£400 for the PC is interesting although I don't think I would be able to build it myself. I look forward to seeing your post on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Whilst that is probably true, Midnight, I beg to differ! I have just built a dedicated Video editing PC for around £400! It's not 'state of the art', but neither is it a pile of old tat! (I'll post details in the appropriate section later).
    £400 + the current cost of Sony Vegas Pro £494.95 did the £400 include the OS and as you said you built it your self not everyone has that ability but well done to you for doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast