Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment hire for music video. Recomendations?

1. Default Equipment hire for music video. Recomendations?

Hi, we are looking to shoot a music video as we cannot afford a high budget video so would liek to hire equipment and film it ourselfs. I already own Sony Vegas and Magic bullet etc plus a few more plug-ins. Does anyone have any recommendations on a camera to rent and or a lighting kit? Would like to film for PAL in widescreen and HD. Would only need the equipment for two days, have a budget of 250. Would this camera be a good choice? Sony HVR-Z7E for 146 for 2 days - Hireacamera - Sony HVR-Z7E hire - Sony HVR-Z7E rental

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty good at editing just havnt filmed much before

Hi Joel,

I'd recommend trying to find something like a Canon 7D (HDSLR) which will give you a lot more "bang for buck" than a third/half inch chip prosumer camera. Because of their sensitivity you'll be able to get away with using existing sources of light or minimal additional lighting. I shot this on a Canon 5D mk2 and in most scenes used available light with some soft fill from a single 400w kino flo.

Nick Padley Writer & Director of Lie with Me for Giant Leap | Nick Padley Freelance | Writer | Director | Editor | Photographer

I found editing via Final Cut Pro pretty straightforward but not sure how Sony Vegas would handle it.

Best,

Nick

3. Default

Thanks for the reply Nick!

Very noobish question but, the Canon 7D looks like a photo camera? Wouldnt it be best to rent a camera which is specially constructed for video?

Thanks

Blog Entries

I'm amazed at this sudden obsession with DSLRs. It does seem to be the latest fad to sweep the video world. The camera you've chosen will do an excellent job (assuming you know how to operate it correctly of course).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    I'm amazed at this sudden obsession with DSLRs. It does seem to be the latest fad to sweep the video world. The camera you've chosen will do an excellent job (assuming you know how to operate it correctly of course).
    I think it's because it's a comparatively cheap way to get the shallow depth of field that everyone except me seems to be after (sond of grumpy old man snort)
    Tim

Sorry for posting a reply and then disappearing for an age!

I think the whole HD DSLR uprising has really been about people being able to achieve a film-like look for a cheap price as well as having an awesome stills camera in the same body. These cameras, as fun as they are still have a number of flaws that make them far from being the perfect choice for every job/ project (line skipping, no HD-SDI out, no XLR inputs, rolling shutter) but what camera is perfect for every job?

I realise a camera alone won't make a video or film look great if the people making it don't have a clue how to frame/ light/ tell a story but if you have those skills and a project that that particular camera suits then go for it!

I've used a few different cameras over the last few years on various productions and they all have their ups and downs. If you were asking me what I would choose for a no/ micro budget music video I would probably opt for a Canon 7D. It's cheap to hire with a few different lenses, file sizes are manageable and you can give your material a very high end look... if you know what to do with it. If you don't know what to do with it hire an owner/ operator who does!
    Last edited by giantleapvideo; 02-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.

I appreciate that buddy! Thanks for taking the time out to watch it.

I agree with giantleapvideo, since I started using the Canon 5D for my videos I wouldn't go back to anything else, it's not just the depth of field, it's a look that I don't think can be achieved with a lot of prosumer cameras like the Z1 or Z7. The footage is also really easy to handle in post. I would say you probably need to know what your doing with a camera like this so you may be best using your budget to hire a DOP who knows what they're doing and you can direct.

Glad you've found something that works for you... have you got a reel online so we can see some of you work? Would be great to see what you've been up to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast