Thread: Capturing a tape in individual clips

Default Capturing a tape in individual clips

I've been using Final Cut Pro for years, but never been asked to capture an entire tape and have the software automatically cut it into single clips at every camera stop point.
    I checked the manual and couldn't find any information on it.
    I know that iMovie does it, so it follows that the much more professional package should be able to. Does anyone know if final Cut Pro will automatically cut tape footage into its separate shots while capturing?

HDV footage does, I don't recall SD ever doing that though
    go into log and capture, label it - press play on your deck/ camera and hit 'now'.

Default Capturing

I believe that will begin to capture the entire tape, but will it cut the capture into its individual shots (every time the camera stopped and started again on a new shot) - while capturing?
    Yes, I'm using HD.

Blog Entries

Hi Mike. I googles final cut scene detection and got this page: Scene detection in FCP while logging? at DVinfo.net

Seems to be what you're after.

That seems to be it. I'll test it tomorrow. - Thanks a bunch.

yes it will. but all clips in your bin will have the same label, numbered. ie:

untitled
    untitled-1
    untitled-2
    untitled-3
    etc...

You should be warned though, continuos capture can sometimes cause sync problems between sound and image. Theres not much of a fix to that which is why batch capture is usually recommended.
    Last edited by fuzzymuffin; 01-10-2011 at 11:48 PM.

You should be warned though, continuos capture can sometimes cause sync problems between sound and image.
    I guessing that certain codecs will fall out of sync after a while, while others do not. I'm also guessing that the reason a certain codec will seem to stay in sync better if you batch capture is that the clips aren't long enough to go noticably out of sync yet. If you record takes that last 25-minutes each, then batch capturing would only give you three clips, two of them 25-minutes in length, and those two long clips will go out of sync at some point. At least I would think so. I don't think batch capturing is really curing anything.

To be honest, its not my recommendation, just something I have been slapped on the wrist for not doing from time to time. I have managed to capture quite a few entire tapes, only ever once experiencing sync problems. That said, it is something I hear a lot of from other folk so I would say its reasonable to pass on the warning.
    It does leave one less organised though and I only ever really do it if I am in a hurry and only have two or three really long shots on a tape.