Thread: Moving Blu-ray Menus in Encore

Default Moving Blu-ray Menus in Encore

I need to create some commercial Blu-ray discs that are pretty much identical to the DVDs we've been shipping. The problem is I created this in DVD Studio Pro and they have moving chapter menus (where the actual chapter thumbnail moves - not the background).

Can this be done in Encore (CS3) and more specifically done for Blu-ray? If so, how?

What are the benefits of upgrading from CS3 to CS5 in terms of Blu-ray? It looks like popup menus have been added - anything else ?

Sorry I can't help you in relation to your blu-ray querys, I havn't done any blu-ray authoring.

When you say the thumbnails move, I read this earlier to mean physically move on the screen. Then just realised something. If so this isn't possible in Encore, well definately not on DVD anyway. I have a feeling that's not what you mean as I may be wrong, but I don't think the DVD format supports that feature.

Do you mean video plays in the thumbnail?

If so it can be done, if I rememebr right it's just in the .psd layer naming conventions for buttons. I've never actually used the feature, but if so I don't mind looking it up for you.

I just realised that's not entierly true, I did use video thumbnail buttons once. It was before I knew about the naming conventions to create buttons from scratch. I used a video thumbnail button from the Encore library, then editied it in photoshop. I just used all the same layers but replaced the graphic for each of them.

If it's what your looking to do, it worked well.

I found a tutorial on that shows how to do this. It's called Animated Menu. The problem now is that I followed the tutorial to the letter but my menus still don't animate :(

Ha! Ignore what I said above! Clearly Adobe Encore still sucks as bad as last time I tried it - the preview does not show the menus animating - but at least they move on a DVD & Blu-ray. Yippee!

Motion menus. When If first read your post I envisioned buttons moving on the screen. It was just your wording, but I was sure DVD never supported that. I never clicked till a bit later when I was away from the computer.

If you use motion menu's in Encore again, you need to render a preview file to see it.

There used to be a bug relating to this, I'm sure it was in cs3. If I rememebr right you had to look into the file system for 2 files and delete them manually, if you then wanted to make changes to the motion menu.

There was another big bug in that same version, I can't remeber what that was, but it was a bad one. Both got fixed in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    If you use motion menu's in Encore again, you need to render a preview file to see it.

Yep - did that - but still no motion on the previews. It works when written to disc though.

Maybe it's just motion backgrounds that can be previewed, maybe not video thumbnails. It's maybe even different in the newer version too.

The odd thing is that the video tutorial on showed the thumbnails animating as soon as render was done - which is why I was expecting it. No matter - I can work around it as long as it works on the end product.

Thanks for the feedback.