Thread: Darkened elipse corners

Default Darkened elipse corners

As with photos, you can darken the sides of a video with an elipse shape.
    How do you go about doing this in edius neo 3?

EDIT: I meant to say a vignette!

Thanks.
    Last edited by photographer; 01-10-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Do you mean a vignette?

Yeah - couldn't think of the word!

The only way I know how to do this is to use the old Film Filter and turn off all the other effects leaving the vignette for you which you can size as required. There may be other ways but it's been such a long time since I've used Edius I can't remember it very well. There may just be a vignette FX.

I think once you've made it with the settings you want you can save it as a preset.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-10-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Thank you - it works.
    I can't quite decide whether or not it is changing the quality though? However it is playing back jittery as it is such a large file I assume, so I can't tell.
    It seems to darken the whole image slightly, and the vignette greater. I may be wrong though.

If you do a Pre render of the clip this should stop the juddering.

This filter may have added a dark layer across to whole image so reduce the size of the vignette this may help. If not you may have to look for another way of doing it. There are a number of different FXs which you may be able to use perhaps something that crops the image with a gradient. It's good to look through these things as you can learn more about the program. AND my knowledge is very thin

Sorry I'm just a beginner! What is a pre-render and how do I do it? And what are the disadvantages. Does that mean when I save the final file it will be lower quality or something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by photographer View Post
    Does that mean when I save the final file it will be lower quality or something?
    No. It just means that the sofware will spend a bit more time rendering the video for a preview. By default, software attempts to playback the video with effects without rendering the video (as this can take a long time). Think of it as someone sketching a drawing before spending hours creating the masterpiece. The quality of teh final output isn't affected, but you get an idea of what the picture might look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    No. It just means that the sofware will spend a bit more time rendering the video for a preview. By default, software attempts to playback the video with effects without rendering the video (as this can take a long time). Think of it as someone sketching a drawing before spending hours creating the masterpiece. The quality of teh final output isn't affected, but you get an idea of what the picture might look like.

I see - do you know how I can go about doing a pre-render?

If you select the clip that you want to pre render then look for one of the menu options, I can't remember which heading it comes under. It says pre render, just click it and it will render that clip so it plays smoothly. Marc is right that the finished video quality is not affected by pre rendering. It's just a way of helping the editor during the editing process.