Thread: Video Pro X2.5

Default Video Pro X2.5

Hi guys, I was just wonerding what you guys thought about Magix Video Pro X2.5? Its pretty much unkown outside of Germany.. As some of you know I've been a die hard fan and user of Sony Vegas for years, I skipped Version 9 of Vegas thinking that they didnt change it enough to justify the upgrade and now i have the choice to make.. verion 10 or VPX2.5.. I downloaded the trial of VPX2.5 and was messing around with it a little bit so far and thought I'd share my thoughts and see if anyone has used it and what they think..

The feature that got my attention was the audio sync feature.. Since I do weddings and events I sometimes use 2 or 3 camera's with seprate audio recorders, the cameras dont have a time code to sync so it has to be done manualy. VPX2.5 allows you to add all you video and audio files and sync's them automaticly, and that will save a lot of time

Plus it has a lot more filters, effects and transitions then vegas.. Im going to continue to try it out during my trial period and let you all know my thoughts on it, but if you have any imput please share incase I miss it before the trial runs out..

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Hey Wil,

I've used a couple of different versions of Movie Edit Pro over the years, and even wrote a review for an older version way back when. I haven't used this new "Video Pro" yet though, but I have found some major problems with every version of MEP I've used. Here's a list of problems I encountered with MEP-15:

1 Exports non-standard DV footage that other apps can't open (they generally show error codes).
    2 Won't crop video (which is essential when working with nested video and green screen effects).
    3 Won't export uncompressed AVI with 16/48 audio (nothing above 16/44.1).
    4 Can't manitain aspect ratios of video clips that are different from the project settings.
    5 No markers.
    6 No bins for storing "takes".
    7 I know of no one who has successfully managed to run firewire back to their cam in order to view on a TV or Pro monitor during editing with DV footage even though the software says you can, so you may need a high end video card depending on your monitor output needs.
    8 Customer service is almost non-existent.
    9 The manual is terrible. Many of the program's features have nothing in the manual whatsoever telling you how to use them.

I don't know if Video Pro has any of those problems or not, but it seems to me that the major one is the lack of cropping ability. Cropping is a pretty basic thing we all have to do now and then. So you might want to check and see if VP can crop video.

Also, and I've mentioned this before, Vegas has a problem with their preview window not having enough contrast. You can set your monitor to compensate for it, but then you have to change your monitor settings every time you want to use a different program, and if you're anything like me, you probably use several different programs for various things. That's really the only problem I have with Vegas, but it was a big enough problem to make me want to switch back to Premiere.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 01-11-2011 at 12:38 AM.

thanks for the speedy reply.. VPX is geared to the pro end, as far as the bugs im not to sure.. it dose have markers, croping and media bin tho.. and right of the get go it looks like it has a better title feature then vegas, from looking at the video edit software it looks like thats the "vegas studio" of the magix's line..

Software Used:

One of the good things about Magix is that the programs they put out all seem to have a ton of transitions and effects in general. I use it for various things.

Thanks for letting me know about VPX being able to crop. That was a major letdown in their other software. I'll wait and see what kind of luck you have with it first, but I may just have to give VPX a try.

I'll keep you posted, so far it looks pretty good.. it will be interesting if any bugs pop up

Software Used: