Thread: Drifticus Maximus: Season One

Default Drifticus Maximus: Season One

Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I am not a professional, but I'm learning very quickly. I bought the car first and I wanted to capture the stuff we do, so I bought a camera and built a PC. Here is my first real attempt at a short video, that shows the disease, Drifticus Maximus, in action. Watch and see just what a horrible disease it is

enjoy!

http://www.williamjdwyer.com/d/
    Sony DCR-TRV250 mounted on the bumper of my 2004 stage3 WRX.
    Adobe Premier 6.5
    XP Pro
    athlon XP 3000 (2.2ghtz) 400fsb
    512meg pc3200ddr 400fsb dual mode ram
    80 gig 7200rpm ide133 hd
    Geforce FX 5200 w/ svid out 128meg ddr

Blog Entries

First off, I like the idea (but I'm not sure I'd be so quick to pirouet my scubby in the snow ) - and well done for cactching the noise of the engine revs at the start. You might want to beef that up a bit actually.

A major tip would be to invest in a tripod - and always think about getting a steady shot. If you can't use a tripod (I admit it's not always practical) hold the camcorder as if you're using a tripod, i.e support the arm carrying the camcorder with your other arm. This is an extremely effective method enables solid shots even on the move.

Also don't be afraid to be ruthless with the editing. Any shot that's slighly obscured, take out (hands, objects out of shot etc etc). For example the very first shot inside your car I wouldn't have used. I'd have gone straight to your mates cars pulling up at the garage. Then when you cut to the next scene, I would have cut before the red car's obsured by the pumps, then set the next in point a few seconds later, when the cars a bit closer and there's more movement in the scene.

Be ruthless with continuity too. When you're shooting something that's not planned, it's sometimes best to be economical with the truth and playback the event out of sequence (obviously you have to start with the virgin snow though!)

I think you've chosen the right kind of music, but the subjects crying out for some fast edits - and someone totalling their car LOL

Blog Entries

Forgot to add, 40+ MB is a hefty file for 4.5 mins. Try reducing your bitrate to <600kps for the video, and set the audio to 96Kps - using WMV9 for each. Half your frame size, and keep the frame rate the same.

Should keep your bandwidth down

thx for the info. I have the blue car w/ the yellow rallye graphics. It was more of a fun night. I took what I had and put it in order, as you suggested, however I noticed some bad edits that didnt come up during the editing process, for example the beginning of the music, the skipping frames, that wasnt there in the preview. But I learn more each time I make something. For example, I work Premier a bit slower, instead of click-click-click, I click-wait-click-wait, and allow the computer to work and not gum it up. Personally I'd rather have a G4/G5 but budget is tight there was almost a wreck, 2 STIs almost collided so one went over the divider, as in the one shot of the divider and you can see that the rear diff slammed onto the curb ... thank god for skid plates, right?!

chris
    Sony DCR-TRV250 mounted on the bumper of my 2004 stage3 WRX.
    Adobe Premier 6.5
    XP Pro
    athlon XP 3000 (2.2ghtz) 400fsb
    512meg pc3200ddr 400fsb dual mode ram
    80 gig 7200rpm ide133 hd
    Geforce FX 5200 w/ svid out 128meg ddr