Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer for Indie TV Pilot

Thumbs up Trailer for Indie TV Pilot

It's called Everyday Is Like Sunday.

The trailer for the pilot is embedded right on the website at Mars On Mars Productions | Toronto, ON Everyday Is Like Sunday (2011)

The 22-minute pilot episode itself will be posted online before the end of this month.

If you have time to kill, there's also a production blog and an on-set documentary feature available to view on the website.

I appreciate any interest, I just discovered this forum today and will do my best to provide feedback on others' projects as well.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

It felt put together "OK". The titles and music are right. The sound is clear enough (though the balance between the guy and the gal in the first scene is a bit off). It didn't seem quite as snappy as I'd have liked, but then it's a laid back sort of trailer for a laid back sort of comedy, so I guess that works.

What you really need to do though is get hold of some lighting. The interior shots (which make up the vast majority of the trailer and no doubt the pilot) look really cheap and nasty simply becuase you haven't got any light on the subjects. Give the camera something to work with!
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Tim

I have to agree with Tim about the lighting the difference between the interior and exterior shots is startling.

made me laugh .... look forward to the full version. stones meets lady ga ga LOL !

^ thanks.

yeah, lighting was a problem. We basically only had one day to get everything shot (the cast and crew was coming from various different places and everyone volunteered) and I knew from past experience that proper lighting setups would've slowed us down to the point where it was either 'do it with natural light or not at all' (we shot 25 pages that day).

It's not as jarring for me since a lot of the recent films I'm a fan of were shot this way (a lot of Swanberg and Bujalski's stuff) and I'm used to that aesthetic so I'm okay with it. If I had more time and money on future episodes, I'd probably incorporate proper lighting, but it would probably still be pretty minimal. I don't think the series would have the particular tone I'm going for if it was a very slick presentation.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it btw.
    Last edited by marsonmars; 01-12-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marsonmars View Post
    I don't think the series would have the particular tone I'm going for if it was a very slick presentation.
    If you honestly believe that then that's fine. But it sounds a bit like you're kidding yourself,particularly as you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by marsonmars View Post
    If I had more time and money on future episodes, I'd probably incorporate proper lighting,
    As it stands the viewer has to work a bit harder to see what's on the screen. If they had to make a choice between that or an identical film which didn't make them work so hard, which would they choose?
    Tim

Sorry, my fault for not explaining what I meant by proper lighting. I'm probably going to get flack for this, but in terms of just the trailer (since that's all you guys can see so far), the part that bugs me the most from a lighting perspective is the stuff where the 4 characters are sitting at the table in the bar. That's actually the only stuff that we lit- as a result I think the faces are certainly clear enough for the viewers there but it just looks unnatural to me, not at all what that bar looks like or what the experience would be like if you were sitting alongside them in that bar. Everything else was naturally lit, including the stuff in the apartment which looks fine to me quite honestly. The only places I've heard complaints about the lighting there (in the apartment etc) has been from filmmaking forums- which is not to say that the criticisms aren't valid gripes, but that editors/filmmakers are certainly focused on different aspects of a film compared to a regular viewer.

I guess if I could do it over again (and this is what I meant by using proper lighting) I would use lights again in the bar scene, but maybe with gels or something to actually try to create a more realistic depiction of what it would actually be like in the bar. It would probably be darker too, and harder to make out the characters facial expressions- but hey, if I was sitting with my friends in a dimly lit bar, it would in fact be darker and harder to make out their facial expressions. Believe me, I know this runs counter to all the general principles of lighting and filmmaking (and I've done things with proper lighting setups before so I know first-hand the obvious benefits), but I have seen films (and watched several leading up to this production) that have done very well with niche audiences that were intentionally lit (or not lit) to best re-create the experience of actually being there alongside the characters for the viewer. Sure, watching those films made me work a little harder as a viewer, but I think it definitely lends something to the authenticity and connection with the characters. If you're curious, some of the film I'm referring to are of the 'mumblecore' movement- Mutual Appreciation, Funny Ha Ha, LOL etc.

I'll point out the elephant in the room since nobody else will. The script and the acting need a lot of work. There's no point in worrying about things like lighting and shot composition untill you get a story people will want to watch and competent actors, some of whom were worse than others. You need a writer. It all starts with a good story told well. I don't mean to sound mean or anything. I'm just trying to be honest with you.

well I'm not going to bother starting an argument about subjectivity and the inherent lack of practical logic behind a generic statement like "...story people will want to watch..." because it will go in circles, but I definitely think it's arrogant on your part to make definitive conclusions about the writing behind a 22 minute script based on 5 singular lines of dialogue in a 2 minute trailer. Sure, you might feel the same way if you watched the whole thing, but you must be a clairvoyant to suggest the script "needs a lot of work" at this point.

A trailer should give a good indication of what kind of writing the viewer can expect. If yours didn't then I would redo it until it did. Subjectivity does not exist. It's just a word that means "I don't know." Beauty, like morality, is univseral. Just because many people aren't very good at seeing it doesn't mean it isn't there. No one in his right mind would say that a cat crawling across a piano is making better music than Art Tatum. There's nothing subjective about it. Just an ability, or inability, to see the truth in a thing and to tell it.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 01-13-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast