Thread: Prosumer Cam on Budget

Default Prosumer Cam on Budget

Hi folks, how's it going? I know it's a little late but I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

I'm here to ask for your help. I'm a media production looking to set up my own freelancing business and have been researching cameras, but feel I need some help and advice from more knowledgeable folk. Ideally I'll be setting up the business in conjunction with an enterprise scheme which will help in the way of funding, but I'm still very much on a budget. At the moment I'm leaning towards the idea that my best bet of getting a decent semi-pro cam is to buy something used off eBay. The idea being that I get it, get jobs, get paid, eventually move onto something better.

My problem is that the science of it all confuses me. My courses have always been based more on the art of it all, with very little time spent on the technology behind it. So with my limited knowledhe, I've come up with a list of cameras I like the look of. Different prices, no doubt different worths.

Sony A1E (used these at college and really like them)
    Canon XM2 (I believe these are supposed to be good, but are they outdated now?)
    Panasonic DVX100 (use these at university, so I'm familiar with using them)
    Sony PD150 (read good things about these)

I need a good all rounder to get myself started with. I would be working primarily to make corporate videos for businesses but would be open to doing interviews, documentaries, short/feature films etc - I really need something that can do a good job of it all. Also needing to buy the rest of the kit (tripod, some sound stuff, bags etc) and would ideally like it all to draw in around 2000.

So if you can tell me anything helpful it'd be greatly appreciated. Apologies for not knowing much!

Last edited by Merica; 01-08-2011 at 11:17 PM.