Thread: Recommend Me Some Lens's

Question Recommend Me Some Lens's

I'm trying to make the best with what I have and can afford. I'm using an HDC-SD9 that still retails for about $700. I was thinking on replacing my second angle camera with an AVCHD camera seeing how the prices have come down, I could get something like a HDC-SD60 for $375! But is it worth it.... I'm assuming the video quality has gotten better in the 2 years since the SD9 with the SD60? My SD9 however has poor low light quality and the color is not very good (very correctable with Sony Vegas color curves) I'm noticing other differences though even if the SD60 does have better video, it hasn't gotten any smaller, it does not have surround sound audio recording, does not have the removable LEICA lens which I can use hoods, fisheyes, etc... but some of these lower end AVCHD cameras have a microphone input jack which my SD9 does not and would be really helpful.

So I have come to the conclusion that to improve my shots I will instead invest in some lens's. I think a wide angle lens could be useful because sometime I make "film looking" videos with an anamorphic crop (2.39:1) so I loose around half my video with the cropping that I could get back horizontally with a wide angle lens. Are these any good?
    Optics 0.45x (0.5x) High Definition, Super Wide Angle Lens For Panasonic HDC-SD9 - $69.00

Also if I'm using my homemade glidecam/steadicam walking down a hallway or something, I think a fisheye would be useful, but not a high powered fisheye I don't want it to look like a skateboard video. I think high powered fisheye's are better for a deticated camera on something close or a limited number of shots. Are these any good?
    Amazon.com: Opteka Platinum Series 0.3X HD Ultra Fisheye Lens for Panasonic PV GS90, GS320, GS85, GS83, GS80, HDC HS100, SD100, SD9, HS9, SX5, & SD5 Digital Video Camcorders: Electronics
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

If you want to get a new lens then do so, however my advice to you is to get your self a really good book about film making and study it, then apply what it says and practice, practice, practice. From looking at your work I would say you are at the stage where you need to "take it to the next level" this can only be done in most cases with good education and plenty of practice.

It's note so much about what tools you have it's more about using them well. Do a search for the thread where the movie was shot on an iphone. Have a look at how good it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post
    So I have come to the conclusion that to improve my shots I will instead invest in some lens's.
    I would spend the money on a few good books. Having watched a few of your videos, I recommend you invest time in developing your basic camera technique and editing skills. You'll find that mastery of the fundamentals will improve your videos 10 fold more than a $70 lens. Once you've developed those basics, you'll find you've saved enough to buy gear that will make a difference.

Ha ha, synchronicity.

Well are there any videos that demonstrate the books concepts? I have troubles with reading text I read very slow, I watch what I can find on youtube about shooting techniques. I will look for that iphone movie thread. I guess what it comes down to is I'm asking about brand names "Optics" and "Opteka"

I try to use the manual settings when I can, but sometimes auto white balance is the only choice. Like shooting a shot through a window into a dark yard there is no way to manually set the WB especially by myself (I have no timer on the manual WB photo shot). If I can use manual focus I do, but it takes several takes because my only control is the stupid tiny thumb knob and I'm not viewing on an external display so one more click with the joystick could have been more in focus that I can not tell on my tiny display.

As I said my only intentions of the wide angle is for panoramic shots with letter boxing. But I think the light power fisheye can greatly improve some shots, I will be filming some rare Camperdown Elms this year and plan on making it panoramic, also their main feature is the "graft meet" where the two trees are connected together (its a visual ring all the way around the trunk) so using my steadicam I think a fisheye would center the attention to the graft in the middle of the screen as I circle the entire trunk.

Any idea why my camera retains it's value still? Is it because of all those features I mentioned?

at best those lens will be soft especiallyaround the edge. at worst, soft, suffer with heavy chromatic aberration (colour fringing) and and not full frame so your footage ends up in a black circle. dont let the HD rating fool you image quality is poor. just look at any of the skate videos on you tube to see what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    at best those lens will be soft especiallyaround the edge. at worst, soft, suffer with heavy chromatic aberration (colour fringing) and and not full frame so your footage ends up in a black circle. dont let the HD rating fool you image quality is poor. just look at any of the skate videos on you tube to see what i mean.
    Well, I will do a video review for you all to see and if I don't like it I will send it back. I have checked out some reviews of it on several cameras and it doesn’t look too bad. There is minimal black circling when zoomed out actually the 4 mini hood flares are moreless what you see if anything. Any image that is blurry wouldn’t have been in the frame anyway without the lens so as long as your object is centered it might work. I got lucky with my camera model; many said that a lens hood would be visible within frame and it ended up not showing at all zoomed out with it on the camera housing or over the mini hood. I love how I can screw a lens or hood over the stock mini hood (auto closing doors) or remove it and screw something directly onto the cameras shell. I always use it over the stock hood so that if I strip the threads out than I can replace the stock hood rather than the camera shell threads which are irreplaceable.

sd9_leica2.jpg
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-06-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-06-2011 at 02:22 AM.