Thread: Vegas Platinum, Pro or Final Cut

Default Vegas Platinum, Pro or Final Cut

Hi. I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting in the correct place...

I have just started a new job and need to decide on my equipment needs. I need to figure out software before ordering a computer. I am creating short stories for the athletics department of a university that will be posted on YouTube and, eventually, posted on an FTP site for local and national media use. I will be doing fast paced highlight videos as well as story pieces.

I am most familiar with Sony Vegas and I find PCs much easier than MAC. I downloaded a trial of Sony Vegas Platinum 10 and I really like it. The only thing it doesn't seem to have that I will need is slow motion and a way to "stop" or pause the frame. I don't know how to do any type of 3D animation but I would like to eventually do some of that. (However, that is minor on my list of needs.) Platinum comes with Sound Forge, which I use a lot, and the price is right, but I'm wondering if Sony Vegas Pro would be better in the long run?

I have had some sound problems when rendering in Vegas. On longer pieces - 5 to 6 minutes - the sound renders really low, even if the volume is up as high as it can go. If I try to fix the sound in sound forge it takes FOREVER to save. I don't know if that is because the computer is slow or if it's the program.

A lot people say I need to move to Final Cut - Final Cut Express is what they recommend - because it's the industry standard. I'm sure I could learn it but my preference is Vegas. I will be working with some of our broadcasting students and they learn on Final Cut but the local news stations here use a variety of software. It seems everyone uses something different. At one station, different reporters use different software. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead move to Final Cut. We have no MACs in our department but they are willing to order what I need. Is there an advantage to using MAC and Final Cut?

Any advice? Thank you so much!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    I downloaded a trial of Sony Vegas Platinum 10 and I really like it. The only thing it doesn't seem to have that I will need is slow motion and a way to "stop" or pause the frame. I don't know how to do any type of 3D animation but I would like to eventually do some of that. (However, that is minor on my list of needs.) Platinum comes with Sound Forge, which I use a lot, and the price is right, but I'm wondering if Sony Vegas Pro would be better in the long run?
    I can't comment on the sound problems - I've not come across this - but I can certainly help upi on two counts:

Firstly, you CAN slow down in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (there's no such thing as Vegas Platinum and it's quite important to get the names right as Sony make them confusing enough as it is!). By up to four, times. Simply ctrl+drag the end of your clip and it will be stretched or compressed (when you do this you'll see a wavy line under the cursor to indicate it's in stretch mode)
    Alternatively, you can right click the event on the timeline and select properties. There you can change the playbnack rate. (ie change it to 4 and it will play back four times as fast)

If you need more than 4 times, simply render out the clip and re-import.

Vegas Pro additionally has "Velocity Envelopes" which allow you to change the playback by a factor of up to 3 - so combining this with the other method you can change the playback speed by up to 12 times. It slow it down to a stop and even reverse the clip. The real beauty with Velocity Envelopes is you can change the speed gradually (ie accelarate/decelarate).

To stop or pause a frame (in VMS Plat) there are a couple of ways:
    1. With the timeline cursor over the frame you want to pause, click on the floppy disk icon immediately above the preview image. This will save a snapshot. Now split your event. Drag the right hand part to the right, creating a gap on the timeline, then import the image you just saved into the gap.OR
    2. With the timeline cursor over the frame you want to pause then split. Now zoom right in on the timeline so you can edit at frame level, move the cursor just one frame to the right and split again. You now have an event which is just one frame long. Assuming you've left "looping" on (the default setting) you can now expand that one frame event for as long as you like just as you would with any other event.

You will only find out if you need Pro with time. Do not buy it. Or rather do not buy it now.
    But a Movie Studio version, then if and when you are ready, upgrade to Pro. The price of Movie Studio + Upgrade to Pro is significantly cheaper (in the region of 100UKP) than buying Pro outright in the firt place. Plus you get all the bundled stuff like sound forge studio etc etc.

What's more, once you've upgraded you can quite legitimately continue to use VMS on another PC or even sell it (although it will no longer have upgrade rights).

I wouldn't be too sure about FCP being the industry standard either. I thought Avid Media Composer holds that honour.

As I said I can't help with the sound issue, but I suggest you post more details (how you're trying to render - settings etc) in another thread or this might get confiusing.
    Tim

Default Thank you!

Thank you! Very helpful!