Thread: Screen capturing from a computer? (Recording games, software, etc)

Question Screen capturing from a computer? (Recording games, software, etc)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to screen capture using an external setup? I'm trying to figure out how to make a software tutorial of a processor-heavy application.... I tried using Camstudio, but the software I'm trying to record takes up so much of the computer's resources that it camstudio won't work at the same time. So I need to find an alternative method. What I'm thinking about doing is running an S-video output from the computer through Dazzle and into a second computer, which will be doing the recoding. Does anyone know if this is a sound method?

Good question, but I really don't know if that will work or not. I've got a lousy video editor called Magix Movie Edit Pro that I keep around just for doing screen captures, because that's the one thing it does well, and it's cheap. I used to use CamStudio and had the same problems as you with it.

Camstudio has worked well for making tutorials for relatively simple programs, like adobe illustrator. But the program I'm trying to capture is too heavy to run and capture on the same computer.

Applian has a similar program called Replay Video that's supposed to work pretty well, though I haven't tried it myself. It's $40 though, so it's not free.

The problem is that I have to screen capture using an external computer/system. The reason is that I am trying to capture a large program which uses all of the computer's resources.

Which is why I suggested using another program that's easier on resourses.

If existing Video card can support more than one monitor; then might a device (such as the things at Hauppauge Computer Works - TV for your PC!) be able to record from the card's DVI output.
    That would not stress the PC and might give a very good image.

you could try sending it to your tv and using a set top dvd recorder or if you have a HDD hooked up to your tv you could record it to that instead of a dvd then just import the dvd back to your pc

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Hey, if you want to record screen video with high quality, you should use some screen recorder to help you. Personally, I think the one I used did the job very well. It can help me record everything displayed on my computer desktop as video, and the video is the same as the original video. So, I often use it to help me record video of screen, and save it to standard video format file.