Thread: Converting & downscaling AVCHD to a more editable format?

1. Default Converting & downscaling AVCHD to a more editable format?

I shot a wedding for a friend with my Canon HF M30 and have a good amount of 1080p30 footage. I have since not got around to editing it since my computer cannot handle the compression of avc when playing back in Vegas HD Platinum 10. I've tried converting multiple containers and codecs, but none seem to run smoothly. I was hoping that down-scaling to 720p would make it easier, but have not found a solution there either.

VirtualDub needs directdrivers to open my MTS files, so i failed to find a way to do a batch convert there. The goal is to output it to a DVD that looks professional (windows dvd maker has nice menus). I have separated the day by events: prewedding, wedding, reception & such and hope to edit these separately to compile in the DVD later.

What ways can I downscale and convert these video files to make them more manageable? And any suggestions of how to compile the DVD would be helpful.

As the eventual DVD is going to be a standard def DVD why not just put all the footage into Vegas and convert it all to mpeg2. 720 x 576 for PAL or 720 x 480 for NTSC.

3. Default

That would be ideal but there is no batch job mode i can find in vegas, and i certainly don't want a long line of footage to sort through. The output product will indeed be 720 x 480, but i need to edit in a SD format before hand.