Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3000 Frames

Default 3000 Frames

Ok I got bored at the end of the Holidays and didn't have any filming or editing to do. So, I did a little experiment and shot some lovely Christmassy objects in the room I was in. AND then went all avant-garde with the sound track. I found the music at the Sony-Boo website and added a few other sounds.

It's supposed to be a juxtaposition of sight and sound with the sound altering the meaning of the images. Every shot is designed to make the viewer feel uneasy.

What do you think.

The final evolution of this video is on page 2 of this thread.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

I feel uneasy! Another lesson in how powerful sound is in conveying a message. I think your soundscape was well constructed.

As you wil be aware, this sort of technique is used quite often in (particularly psychological) thrillers - expecially where it starts off all jolly and the shots continue as such but the music becomes more menacing and then gives the objects a more sinister feeling. In fact you might like to re-do the soundtrack to attempt precicely that.
    One thing I thought is was missing was a small band of choirboys, quite distant, singing something like "Deck the halls with boughs of holly", where the reverb increases and the music soundtrack which starts off effectively matching the major key of the melody, reharmonizes the carol such that it moves into a minor key. Maybe I haven't spelled that out right, but I'm sure you know the sort of thing I mean.
    Tim

Very Nice shots there. What camera(s) do you use Midnight? Did you have to light the room a bit more than just the houselights?

Hi Jimbob, Thanks for watching. I have a Panasonic HVX201. I shot this video at 720p. It was shot in a dull day light situation outside and the only extra lighting, apart from the house lights, was a torch (flashlight) to create some of the effects, like on the robin.

Cheery Tim, Thanks for not laughing me out of the forum, I get some funny ideas sometimes. I totally get your idea which would have been good. Films like the horror movie Carrie used the nicey, nicey shots leading to a sudden shock or horror to the max, especially at the end when the hand comes out of the ground. I wish I'd have thought about starting the piece with a jolly feel and then move it into a more sinister flavor.

Thanks for taking the time to view my experiment.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-02-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Thanks for taking the time to view my experiment.
    You make it sound like it was an ordeal for me. Quite the reverse, it's always a pleasure
    Tim

Here is my attempt at your idea Tim. It's not exactly as I wanted it but it was late last night.

7. Default

i feel like there is a man sitting by a window with a bleak but crazy look on his face enjoying christmas without his family.......perhaps he is having flash backs to these moments. Perhaps towards the end of the clip it could start panning across the floor passing all the unwrapped presents afew blood stains and ribbons down an arm then bang to a womens face. the end.

I love that it got your imagination going. I'm actually just editing a new ending right now, so I'll post it later (there is blood).

9. Default

ooooooooo looking forward to it! you could even do a clip evolution, from your first clip all the way to the end one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Here is my attempt at your idea Tim.
    Excellent! I did feel perhaps it could have been more evenly balanced as it moves to the sinister rather early on then stays there, but that's commenting on this as a finished piece whereas it's an experiment (at the moment anyway!).
    At one point where we seemed to have a large number of chimes, I was expecting alarm clocks and ticking to enter the fray, and the whole thing to dissolve into Pink Floyd's "Time" (which wouldn't be a bad thing - maybe you could add some of your more Gilmoursesque style guitar playing).
    I'm looking forward to your development f something like ShanFilm's suggestion. But please don't make Mrs Midnight dress up as a beaten hooker again - or she may start getting used to it
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast