Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which version of Sony Vegas for someone moving from WMM?

Default Which version of Sony Vegas for someone moving from WMM?

Having had a 30 day trail of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 almost 2 years ago but not having followed it up with a full version, I feel I am now ready to try again. As I am moving 'up' from Windows Movie Maker (the only editing progaramme I have ever used with any success) I feel I need the simplest version available at this time.

I will not be making HD videos so do not need one with that facility.

Therefore I would like your advice on which version I should try. I am going to have a 30 day trial before buying.

Many thanks to all those who have helped me in the past.

Blog Entries

All versions of Vegas are very similar (if not identical). It's just that the lower down the range you go, the fewer features.
    Having more features does not make the program any less simple - you simply don't use features if you don't want them. They don't "get in the way" of the features you do want. They don't create extra screen clutter - and with all but the most basic version, you can rearrange your windows to suit anyway.

Anyway, a quick look at the product comparison Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Product Comparisons suggests to me that the first thing you need to decide is whether you want to burn DVDs. If so, you either need your own DVD burning software (which you may welll have as WMM to my recollection does not have that facility) or to abandon the cheapest Vegas option (VMS HD) as it does not include DVD Architect Studio (Sony's DVD authoring software) whereas the others do.

The next version up VMS HD Platinum seems great value - especially now that it allows up to 10 tracks of video and 10 of audio. I doubt most of us use more than that for day to day projects. You will find the White Balance, and Colour Correction tools very useful, and you may well find a use for the stabilizer.

However, having decided on that, the extras included in the VMS HD Platinum 10 Production Suite (who comes up with these names) are certainly worth the extra 25. You get a tutorial DVD, Sound Forge Studio (a basic, but usable sound editor), some additional effects from NewBlue, and 1001 Sound Effects. Of course if you already have any of these or none appeal then it's not worth the extra. Up to you.

Now the most important thing: If you are considering jumping in and buyin Vegas Pro, don't! It's actually cheaper (significantly cheaper - in the order of 100) to buy one of the Movie Studio packages and then upgrade. So you can go "consumer" now and actually save money, ather than spend it all over again when you go "pro".
    Tim

Default Which version of Sony Vegas?

Thank you Tim,

You probably won't remember me but you gave me a great deal of help 2 years ago when I was thinking about moving from WMM. I am doing a garden project called,'Creating a garden from a wilderness'.

Believe it or not I am no futher forward with the editing, HOWEVER, I have re-recorded the narrative for the full 6 years on a brand new, excellent quality digital voice recorder. That is a major step forward.

Therefore, as I now have to reinstall all the narrative, I may as well do it in a more comprehensive programme than WMM.

I do not have an authoring programme so having one included would be a great advantage.

Last night I sat for hours looking at tutorials on Youtube for various Sony Vegas (mostly MS9) programmes. It really looks relatively simple once you understand the basics of video editing which I do having spent so long 'fiddling' around with WMM.

I will have a look at the one you suggest and download a trial of it.

I just didn't want to spend the money one that does HD if I dad no intention of producing HD DVDs for the forseeable future, but take on board all you say.

Many thanks once again for your advice and I will let you know what I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    All versions of Vegas are very similar (if not identical). It's just that the lower down the range you go, the fewer features.
    Having more features does not make the program any less simple - you simply don't use features if you don't want them. They don't "get in the way" of the features you do want. They don't create extra screen clutter - and with all but the most basic version, you can rearrange your windows to suit anyway.

Anyway, a quick look at the product comparison Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Product Comparisons suggests to me that the first thing you need to decide is whether you want to burn DVDs. If so, you either need your own DVD burning software (which you may welll have as WMM to my recollection does not have that facility) or to abandon the cheapest Vegas option (VMS HD) as it does not include DVD Architect Studio (Sony's DVD authoring software) whereas the others do.

The next version up VMS HD Platinum seems great value - especially now that it allows up to 10 tracks of video and 10 of audio. I doubt most of us use more than that for day to day projects. You will find the White Balance, and Colour Correction tools very useful, and you may well find a use for the stabilizer.

However, having decided on that, the extras included in the VMS HD Platinum 10 Production Suite (who comes up with these names) are certainly worth the extra 25. You get a tutorial DVD, Sound Forge Studio (a basic, but usable sound editor), some additional effects from NewBlue, and 1001 Sound Effects. Of course if you already have any of these or none appeal then it's not worth the extra. Up to you.

Now the most important thing: If you are considering jumping in and buyin Vegas Pro, don't! It's actually cheaper (significantly cheaper - in the order of 100) to buy one of the Movie Studio packages and then upgrade. So you can go "consumer" now and actually save money, ather than spend it all over again when you go "pro".

Blog Entries

Hi again. Your name did seem familiar!
    Just a footnote to say all current versions of Vegas do HD, so you're not paying extra as such - you have no choice!
    Tim

Default 30 Day Free Trial

I have downloaded the 30 day free trial of Movie Studio Platinum 10.

I was hoping I could import the part I had already edited in WMM, into it but it won't allow me to do that so I will have to start at the beginning and do the editing again. At least it allowed me to import the footage I had already captured. And as my better half says, 'Does it matter how long it takes, it's a project'. Very true.

There is so much to learn and it will be very slow but in 2 hours I have learned quite a bit. At first I could not see how you could trim a tiny clip that needed a fraction of a mm off each end to remove the click of the voice recorder (for example) until I discovered it has it's own window where you can do all your trimming.
    Simple things like that take time.

It is always very tempting (with anything new) to throw in the towel and go back to what you know well and just forget about the new project as there is so much to learn and therefore slow. But it is a new project and something new to learn so I will stick with it and see how it goes.

Many thanks for your interest.

Hi again. Your name did seem familiar!
    Just a footnote to say all current versions of Vegas do HD, so you're not paying extra as such - you have no choice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PegMac View Post
    At first I could not see how you could trim a tiny clip that needed a fraction of a mm off each end to remove the click of the voice recorder (for example) until I discovered it has it's own window where you can do all your trimming.
    Or you can do it on the timeline...You can zoom right in so you can see individual frames (and beyond) - I use the mouse scroll wheel for this but there are several other ways, place the timeline cursor over where you want the split to occur and press the "s" key. Alternatively click and drag the end of the clip towards the middle to shorten it.

The trimmer window, as you've discovered, is great for previewing and preparing your clips before adding to the timeline and this is the way many people like to work - drop a clip into the trimmer, trim it, then press the "A" key to place the trimmed section on the timeline at the cursor. Personally I do most of my work on the timline itself (which means a more cluttered timeline) but I still find the trimmer useful from time to time.

Have you run through the interactive tutorials (under Help)? You may save some time getting to grips with the basics or discover things you'd missed.
    Tim

Default Trimming in Timeline

Many thanks for the tips. I tried trimming in the timeline as that's where I did it in WMM but I found that, because it was so small I couldn't get an accurate trim. When I dragged it to the right to increase its size (this was an audio clip) it went into a loop and played the same clip over and over. I know I have read somewhere about removing a tick from a box to remove the loop but have not found it yet.

No, I have not looked at the tutorials yet as I was just so desperate to make a start last night and see if it would import my already edited footage.

However, before I go any further I WILL study the tutorials and make notes.

One of the main things I need to find out is how to increase the overall size of the timeline I am working on so that my clip is not so tiny. I do not use a mouse on my laptop to try and and save my my wrists.

It is all a steep learning curve and I will not be beaten by a computer programe and a chip!!

I will keep you posted.

Or you can do it on the timeline...You can zoom right in so you can see individual frames (and beyond) - I use the mouse scroll wheel for this but there are several other ways, place the timeline cursor over where you want the split to occur and press the "s" key. Alternatively click and drag the end of the clip towards the middle to shorten it.

The trimmer window, as you've discovered, is great for previewing and preparing your clips before adding to the timeline and this is the way many people like to work - drop a clip into the trimmer, trim it, then press the "A" key to place the trimmed section on the timeline at the cursor. Personally I do most of my work on the timline itself (which means a more cluttered timeline) but I still find the trimmer useful from time to time.

Have you run through the interactive tutorials (under Help)? You may save some time getting to grips with the basics or discover things you'd missed.

Blog Entries

No, I have not looked at the tutorials yet as I was just so desperate to make a start last night and see if it would import my already edited footage.
    I can quite understand that
    One of the main things I need to find out is how to increase the overall size of the timeline I am working on so that my clip is not so tiny. I do not use a mouse on my laptop to try and and save my my wrists.
    Each to his/her own. I can't stand using the touchpads on laptops and always use a mouse in preference.

Anyway - as you have found draging the end of a clip on the timeline only extends or shortens the clip (and if you drag it beyond the end of the clip it will loop, which, as you rightly say you can turn off [right click event, select properties and the uncheck "loop"]), but that still won't zoom into the timeline, which is what you want to do.

There are three other options available to you (possibly more, just two spring to mind)
    1. At the bottom right of the Timeline Window there are two buttons with a "+" and a "-". You've giessed it, pressing "+" will zoom in to the timeline and "-" will zoom out.
    2. To the right of the +/- keys is a magnifying glass button. Click on this, then click-drag across a section of the timeline -this section will expand to fill the timeline.
    3. To the left of the +/- keys you can drag the ends of the scroll bar to zoom in/out the timeline.

I don't recommend you try to learn all these; just choose one that works for you and stick with that for now.
    Tim

Default Tutorials

I have done as you suggested and worked my way through the tutorials and yes, I found out what the + / - were for! I took notes as I went along as I find this is the best way to remember things and I must admit learned a lot about the programme.

But late last night (when I was tired) I was getting to the stage of, 'I can't do this, I'm going back to WMM'.

However, today a fresh brain and I am back to thinking, I will not be beaten by a computer programme, it can't be that difficult! So tonight I will go back to it again.

The basics are, of course, the same but it still quite different in many ways so that is what I have to get my head round.

I find the fact that it is all one long strip rather than cut up into bite sized pieces, difficult to handle. Yes, of course I can split it.

Also, the fact that I have already edited this part in WMM is not helpful as I keep thinking, 'Where did I put the splits the first time round?' and I cannot get that out of my head.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and import the part I have already edited in WMM but that is not going to happen so I will just have to forget it.

I found the extra timelines very useful as I can have my narrative on one and birdsong in the bacground on another.

So, the motto (for now is,) Onwards and Upwards.

Many thanks again for your interest and your time.

I can quite understand that

Each to his/her own. I can't stand using the touchpads on laptops and always use a mouse in preference.

Anyway - as you have found draging the end of a clip on the timeline only extends or shortens the clip (and if you drag it beyond the end of the clip it will loop, which, as you rightly say you can turn off [right click event, select properties and the uncheck "loop"]), but that still won't zoom into the timeline, which is what you want to do.

There are three other options available to you (possibly more, just two spring to mind)
    1. At the bottom right of the Timeline Window there are two buttons with a "+" and a "-". You've giessed it, pressing "+" will zoom in to the timeline and "-" will zoom out.
    2. To the right of the +/- keys is a magnifying glass button. Click on this, then click-drag across a section of the timeline -this section will expand to fill the timeline.
    3. To the left of the +/- keys you can drag the ends of the scroll bar to zoom in/out the timeline.

I don't recommend you try to learn all these; just choose one that works for you and stick with that for now.

Default I've had a breakthrough!!

I just thought you would like to know I have, at long last, made a start with the editing. I was seeing problems where there were none and looking for exactly the same buttons, etc. as WMM and when they looked slightly different or were in a different place I was having a mental block and this little voice kept saying, 'you can't do this.' (I think it's an age related thing!!!!)

However, once I had made up my mind I WOULD do it, it was really no different from WMM except I had to keep splitting the long event whereas WMM had put it in in bite size pieces but we won't go there as it was more than adequately covered in discussions two years ago. (All to do with time codes etc which won't apply here as this has been digitised from analogue).

One very annoying, and I am sure very simple to correct, thing happened - I clicked on the magnifying glass at the top of the page and it shrunk the timelines and everything on them to a fraction of their size and no matter what I clicked or read I could not get it back to normal size. There has to be a simple answer.

What a difference a day makes. This time last night I was all ready to give up and while I won't pretend to knowing a fraction of what it is capable of I feel I have crossed the most difficult barrier - getting started!
    Thank You.

I have done as you suggested and worked my way through the tutorials and yes, I found out what the + / - were for! I took notes as I went along as I find this is the best way to remember things and I must admit learned a lot about the programme.

But late last night (when I was tired) I was getting to the stage of, 'I can't do this, I'm going back to WMM'.

However, today a fresh brain and I am back to thinking, I will not be beaten by a computer programme, it can't be that difficult! So tonight I will go back to it again.

The basics are, of course, the same but it still quite different in many ways so that is what I have to get my head round.

I find the fact that it is all one long strip rather than cut up into bite sized pieces, difficult to handle. Yes, of course I can split it.

Also, the fact that I have already edited this part in WMM is not helpful as I keep thinking, 'Where did I put the splits the first time round?' and I cannot get that out of my head.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and import the part I have already edited in WMM but that is not going to happen so I will just have to forget it.

I found the extra timelines very useful as I can have my narrative on one and birdsong in the bacground on another.

So, the motto (for now is,) Onwards and Upwards.

Many thanks again for your interest and your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast