Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xmas 2010 - Isn't it over yet?

Blog Entries

Default Xmas 2010 - Isn't it over yet?

Just when you thought the season of goodwill was safely behind us, I've gone and posted a Christmas video. Not only that - it's a family Christmas video.
    This started out from a vague suggestion from one of my sisters back in October and turned into a bit of a production.
    Yes, there are lighting errors, framing errors, colours which could have been corrected better if I had infinite time and numerous other errors. In fact it's pretty much an embarassment posting it here among some of the great stuff we've seen recently, but it was, as I'm sure some of you will see from the film, fun.

(But just 'cos it's fun, it doesn't mean I don't want criticism)

Tim

It's a Merry Christmas fabulous tastic. It makes me want to be included in the fun. Which is what Christmas is all about.

Happy New Year Tim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Happy New Year Tim.
    Cheers Midnight. A Happy New Year to you and all at DD) too!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Brilliant stuff Tim. Really enjoyed watching.

Nicely done Tim - very festive and definitely fun - a great addition to any family album. Must have had a few laughs making it. It'll be great to look back on this in about ten years time.
    Well done and thanks for sharing it.

Blog Entries

Thanks Marc and Paul. Yes we had a few laughs making it - and more than a few tiffs at times. It helps having a family of show-offs and alcohol and bribery always smooths the way. Also they knew they couldn't go home until the shoot was finished!
    Tim

Well that's Christmas for you. Our one time of the year to get goofy in front of a camera. Could have used a more fun song, but Burl Ives already sang them all.

Blog Entries

Many thanks for taking a look and commenting Swoopie, but ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    Could have used a more fun song
    You gotta be kidding! You're looking with those USAcentric eyes of yours again Swoopie .
    I'm guessing you've barely heard of it before, if ever. If not, just search Slade Merry Xmas Everybody on YouTube to see the Midlands (that's the English midlands, not the US Mid West) finest glam rockers performing this back in the day. Bet you can't help but smile!

Slade's song is regularly voted the best Chrismas pop song in the UK in poll after poll ever since it was first released in 1973 where it went straight into the UK singles charts at number one.

Since then, quite apart fom appearing on almost every Christmas compilation released over here it has charted in 1980 (where it reached no 70); 1981 (32); 1982 (67); 1983 (20); 1984 (47); 1985 (40 ); 1986 (71); 1989 (99); 2006 (21); 2007 (20); 2008 (32); 2009 (41); 2010 (50) and obviously sales will be superb in 2011 after the free promotion I've given it

OK I know you said fun not successful, but the beauty of this song (and one of the reasons for choosing it) is the lyrics lend themselves to having these little fun tableux played out behind the singer. Not many Christmas pop songs have that (I originally planned Lennon's "Happy Christmas - War is Over", but apart from people singing, what do you film? There are surprisingly few songs which have plenty of scenes you can act out (including Burl Ives' songs).

OK I know you said fun, not songs you can write a screenplay for, but do you seriously not think this song is fun? Whilst the lyrics are no doubt throw away the song is all about having fun and having hope for the future. And it's a good old singalong (mind you I'm wondering now if a rowdy singalong is a bit of a British thing, now - I say British as I know that the Scots, Welsh and Irish all like a rowdy singalong as much as the English)

Seriously, it's interesting to learn of the reaction from someone who perhaps is not familiar with something which is over familiar to me. This song is about as engrained in English culture as a cup of tea (or as Noddy Holder - lead singer with Slade - would say, "kipper tie"), queueing, tutting and talking about the weather.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-05-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    Tim

Slade for some reason only had a couple of songs that got any airplay at all over here. They never quite caught on. I haven't heard very many. But no, they weren't for me. While you were listening to the whole glam thing I was going through my fusion period. Oddly, a lot of the music I was listening to came out of GB and France. I was listening to pretty much every band Allan Holdsworth was involved with going all the way back to Tempest, then Tony Williams, Bill Bruford's band, UK, Soft Machine, Gong etc. Then there was Jeff Beck, Brand X, Gary Husband, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, on and on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    Slade for some reason only had a couple of songs that got any airplay at all over here. They never quite caught on.
    I'm starting to get that impression
    It was another 5 years or so before I started getting into some of the stuff you mention - some great stuff there.
    I doubt I'd find a Mahavishnu Orchestra Christmas number, but one but can you imagine one by Gong? Now that would be fun!
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast