Thread: Roger Ebert Says This Short Should Get an Oscar

Default Roger Ebert Says This Short Should Get an Oscar

“This film ["Man in a Blizzard" by Jamie Stuart] deserves to win the Academy Award for best live-action short subject. (1) Because of its wonderful quality. (2) Because of its role as homage."
    He also made the claim that the movie was inspired directly from the 1929 film "Man With a Movie Camera” by Dziga Vertov.

“You can tell from the cinematography he knew exactly what he was doing and how to do it. He held the Vertov film in memory. Stuart must already been thinking of how he would do the edit and sound. Any professional will tell you the talent exhibited here is extraordinary.”
    Personally, I think Roger Ebert has offically lost his mind. The two films are nothing alike in my opinion. "Man in a Blizzard" is about as special and entertaining as a barking dog. There's nothing wrong with it, but I've seen a thousand better films by complete amateurs on YouTube, and several better ones right here in this forum.

Love the happy asian man failing on a moped. But this is very nice.

Oh, it is perfectly nice.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I found it a little tedious for the first minute or so despite the quality of the clips- because neither the film nor the audio developed sufficiently - I find I have limited attention span for simple montages nowadays. Later on though as we were treated to some interwoven narratives, I found it much more enjoyable.

For those of you who, like me, have never heard of Roger Ebert (I've no idea how well known he is outside the US) Roger Ebert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blog Entries

It's not bad and it's been well shot and edited. It ain't no Man With a Movie Camera though. In my opinion.

For a start it lives from the music. MWAMC was silent, the images themselves providing the rhythm (although there was a score written for it). Each black & white shot stood on its own and together... a masterpiece.

This is a very good little film but an Oscar..? Not if I had a vote.

It just shows why he's only a film critic, not a film maker.

Edit: for those who want to see the original...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-31-2010 at 08:48 AM.

brilliant loved it. Jamie deserves an award just for getting out there in those conditions ! i know Ive chickened out on a few occasions when the opportunity arose recently

If this was shot by me I'd be very pleased with it but I didn't think the editing was that good. Very random at the beginning and then a little repetitive in the second half.
    BUT like I said I would be pleased if I'd done this.

Blog Entries

Oh dear, I'm clearly no expert; I found it no better than hundreds of other montages posted on Vimeo.

You know, it's gotten fairly good ratings on YouTube. Of course these days you're only allowed to give a video a thumbs up or thumbs down though. You couldn't really give it a thumbs down because it's not bad at all. But I think if the viewers would have been asked to give it a thumbs up if it deserves an Oscar or thumbs down if it didn't, the thumbs down would have won out.