Thread: New to the forum and a recent wedding film

Default New to the forum and a recent wedding film

Hi people, my name is Frank and I run a wedding video website called I-WeddingVisuals

I-WeddingVisuals

Just wanted to say hi and here's a recent wedding film I did:

Criticism is most welcome. Hope to catch up with you guys soon.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Not a bad piece, but to be perfectly honest, far too many glidetrack shots in succesion along with some shaky footage and a ending with too many dissolve shots ruined it for me. When a particular shot is overused it lessens the impact and the wow factor is gone. I really don't understand why so many think that they have a glidetrack ot steadicam and it instantly makes them a cinematographer!!!
    I could also think of quite a few wedding companies who would challenge you on your statement in the about us part of your website but I imagine you are doing your best to promote your business!

I did view part of another piece and noticed the audio was lacking for the ceremony. I would advise always using a wireless mic, at least on the Groom for clearer audio.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi there, thanks for the comments - I do actually agree with what you said. You are not the only person who said I overused the sliding shots. Believe me I am trying to use it less now.

About the statement - I've changed it already. Everyone is doing the glidetrack and steadicam shots now and making these shots less special.

Wireless mic - Can't agree more, I've only started using it recently.

I've never thought myself as a cinematographer in anyway. I came from more of an editing background and these good shots had in fact made me lazier. I saw many of these cinematic wedding companies are doing film style / music video style for weddings. I've thought to introduce VO and narration for my upcoming project. To make it more, let's say TV entertainment style. what do you think?

Cheers again for the feedback.
    www.didamedia.com

Bespoke and Affordable Video Productions in London -

| Corporate Video | Commercial | PR Events | Live Recording | Motion Graphics | Music Video | TV Productions

I personally think the format and style you have chosen for the highlight/trailer is spot on. VO is crucial to capturing the mood and emotion and creating the story. We don't want it to simply be a music video.

I think if you can work a little more on the notion that less is more and tighten the edit a little, try condensing it by half! with this approach you will be on to something very good!

Cheers.

John De Rienzo
    De Rienzo Films.
    www.drfilms.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by GDR View Post
    Hi Frank,

Not a bad piece, but to be perfectly honest, far too many glidetrack shots in succesion along with some shaky footage and a ending with too many dissolve shots ruined it for me. When a particular shot is overused it lessens the impact and the wow factor is gone. I really don't understand why so many think that they have a glidetrack ot steadicam and it instantly makes them a cinematographer!!!
    I could also think of quite a few wedding companies who would challenge you on your statement in the about us part of your website but I imagine you are doing your best to promote your business!

I did view part of another piece and noticed the audio was lacking for the ceremony. I would advise always using a wireless mic, at least on the Groom for clearer audio.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
    I also think so.

The 1st thing to do, (when you think it's ready) with any highlights edit is to turn your sound OFF. You'll easily spot the flaws without the fatal distraction of a good soundtrack.
    Apart from the obvious overuse of slide/glide, many shots are nicely framed and if the slides had been more selectively chosen, they would have been breathtaking. As it is, they get lost in the constant shot style repetition. You have a nice mix of shots from wide to tilts which are all fine.
    Your continuity is very flaky at times though. The groom talking to the guy in the room. The guy is talking - next shot he has a ring box in his hand.
    The groom with the turban on. Next shot - it's on the table. Now in real life, something else happens inbetween. A glance shot somewhere else then back to the ring box/turban on table then works.
    All these are glaring with the sound turned off. Most clients will be wowed on content/music alone, but you as the editor should spot these flaws a mile off. They all make so much difference and will, if taken care of, make your productions stand out from the other amateur wobbly/over saturated/slidecam packed contenders.
    Hope this helps
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club