Thread: Need some help on my career path...

Default Need some help on my career path...

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, so I was hoping to make this my introduction...but to avoid a wall of text, I'll just get to the point!

I'm currently 20 years old, and I live on my own. I'm interested in doing some editing I believe. I played around with Sony Vegas a few times a year ago and I even made a video game advertisement (pretty much). I really enjoyed the whole piecing the videos together and syncing it to music. Adding effects was pretty neat too, which I enjoyed as well. But not as much. Likely due to my lack of knowledge on it.

I live in Denver Colorado, US.
    I have my GED, and i am a minority. I'm Mexican and Asian...(Lolwtf?) Onl;y got my GED due to family and life issues.

Anyways, I would really appreciate any advice.

I'm not sure what in interests fall into.. editing or directing? Editing is pretty vast... so I am really lost.

My computer is pretty lame. Its a laptop, 3G RAM , 750MB video card, 2.0 CPU.
    I got Sony Vegas 8, I had a Sony Handycam HD, but I sold it to pay rent last year.

Now I am back on my feet (some what) and would like to go to school. I have no parents to go to for advice, so like I said. ANY would be great!

A few questions:

Does schooling play a major factor? Or experience?
    How long does it take to break into the industry?
    Do I need a new computer? Is Sony Vegas good enough?

I got more but I cant think of it...

If this is the wrong section, please do not block or close thread. Please move!

Any help? Anyone?

Hi I've no experience in film making as I'm hear to learn.. but I can offer you some advice

..Does schooling play a major factor? Or experience? - only if you've learnt something

..How long does it take to break into the industry? - depends on how good you are, how persistant you are and how much effort you're prepared to put into getting where you want to be.. I would start with your end goal what do you want to achieve then work backwards and figure out the steps to get there.. for instance I've read today that even being a runner is a start and be prepared to do something for nothing and make some contacts..

..Do I need a new computer? Is Sony Vegas good enough? ..if you want to do serious editing then yes.. I'm sure what you have will get you started, Vegas, Premiere and Final cut seem to be common software that is mentioned.. computers and software are expensive so I would advise you get as good as you can get with what you have then move on, hopefully by that time you will have made some contacts and maybe earning some money?!

..most of all be enthusiastic, friendly and helpful and don't waste anytime, google your area for film makers, studios, colleges, media houses and ask if they need a runner, free help etc.. don't give up your day job too soon though

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by c7borg View Post
    Hi I've no experience in film making as I'm hear to learn.. but I can offer you some advice

..Does schooling play a major factor? Or experience? - only if you've learnt something

..How long does it take to break into the industry? - depends on how good you are, how persistant you are and how much effort you're prepared to put into getting where you want to be.. I would start with your end goal what do you want to achieve then work backwards and figure out the steps to get there.. for instance I've read today that even being a runner is a start and be prepared to do something for nothing and make some contacts..

..Do I need a new computer? Is Sony Vegas good enough? ..if you want to do serious editing then yes.. I'm sure what you have will get you started, Vegas, Premiere and Final cut seem to be common software that is mentioned.. computers and software are expensive so I would advise you get as good as you can get with what you have then move on, hopefully by that time you will have made some contacts and maybe earning some money?!

..most of all be enthusiastic, friendly and helpful and don't waste anytime, google your area for film makers, studios, colleges, media houses and ask if they need a runner, free help etc.. don't give up your day job too soon though

good luck

Thank you so much. Good advice, I will keep what you said in mind.

Though I have no car...no job right now. On the verge of being homeless. And I am only 20 years old. Sadly, my step mother abandoned me when I was young. And I've been trying to keep afloat ever since.

Being Runner seems easy to get into, but for me. I have no tools to do so. Ugh.....

Thanks though! You've given my spirit to keep trying!

I'm at your stage right now bro. I'm not sure if i want to become a director or filmeditor. But my mind leans towards the directing much more. I'm replying to your topic because we have much in common and i think we can work together on this if we research the right stuff. Shit, you never know, we might end up working on a multi-million movie someday and it all started because we ran into each other on a forum, haha.

Anyways,
    I really wanna get to know you more before i start jumping to conclusions though. So if you're interested, reply back. Show me some of your work if you have any, youtube videos? scripts, etc. I will say this though, i don' have the tools to make a real-life movie so i'm actually working on a video-game series-like film. I'm starting off there and working my way up.

How are you doing. I'm 22 and barely getting my foot in the door.
    I messed around with Vegas for a while, learned it pretty well. After that, I picked a "scene" I wanted to work in, MUSIC.
    The beginning is when you really have to do alot of free or cheap work in order to build up your resume/demo real but you get alot of opportunities to network and who ever your hooking up with a video will recommend you to other people.
    If your an editor, your only job is to sit at a computer and wait for work to come your way(you work of the dirctor).
    If your a director, your going to be in charge whats going on in your scenes/clips,
    Putting your vision in a frame is the job of the DP/dirctor of photography(camera operator.)
    Theres no reason you can't be both and if your low budget like a lot of us, I recommend doing both. Especially because of the $$$. Sharing your work is cool, sometimes you can afford to do it but if your a director and don't consider yourself an editor, your going to need to hire yourself an editor.
    If someone wants you to do a video for them, alot of the time, they'll expect shooting and editing. As in you shoot it, cut it and give them a finished product.
    Director, director of photography, editor. You can do it all yourself.
    Last year I decided to take classes at my local community college. I took Cameras, Editing and a Video Production class. I really liked it becuase you think you know what you need to know but school tells you why you do things, and the right way to do it. (editing example: When you begin a project you should be setting it to the format of your video clips. Files coming from a DV tapes will be at 29.97fps, even though you shot it at a different fps. If you render it at a different frame rate, you'll get dropped froms.)
    School is also cool because you get to meet/network with people that are also into the same thing as you and you get to tell people you want to school for Video Production. lol

So basically my point is,since you have no budget, do it all yourself. Once you start getting bigger projects, you can start hiring people to do jobs for you but til then, take whatever jobs you can get.

Check out the book "Rebel Without A Crew" by Robert Rodriguez.

If you need any help/advice go ahead and hit me up.

Ruben Avila
    www.youtube.com/stolenstudios
    stolenstudios@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by iDoLiZeD View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, so I was hoping to make this my introduction...but to avoid a wall of text, I'll just get to the point!

I'm currently 20 years old, and I live on my own. I'm interested in doing some editing I believe. I played around with Sony Vegas a few times a year ago and I even made a video game advertisement (pretty much). I really enjoyed the whole piecing the videos together and syncing it to music. Adding effects was pretty neat too, which I enjoyed as well. But not as much. Likely due to my lack of knowledge on it.

I live in Denver Colorado, US.
    I have my GED, and i am a minority. I'm Mexican and Asian...(Lolwtf?) Onl;y got my GED due to family and life issues.

Anyways, I would really appreciate any advice.

I'm not sure what in interests fall into.. editing or directing? Editing is pretty vast... so I am really lost.

My computer is pretty lame. Its a laptop, 3G RAM , 750MB video card, 2.0 CPU.
    I got Sony Vegas 8, I had a Sony Handycam HD, but I sold it to pay rent last year.

Now I am back on my feet (some what) and would like to go to school. I have no parents to go to for advice, so like I said. ANY would be great!

A few questions:

Does schooling play a major factor? Or experience?
    How long does it take to break into the industry?
    Do I need a new computer? Is Sony Vegas good enough?

I got more but I cant think of it...

If this is the wrong section, please do not block or close thread. Please move!
    Hi

I am also new to this board, but I can hopefully answer some of your questions, working in the media industry myself.

You are definitely heading in the right direction with regards to playing around with your Camcorder and Video Editing Software Package and, by doing so, you are opening up a host of potential career paths which you may want to pursue. As the Media Industry, particularly TV and Video production offer so many different Job Roles, you will usually find professionals currently in the industry have 'wandered' in to their current position rather than had a direct career route. I know a Cameraman who started off as a stills photographer at a TV station and is now a Senior camera operator filming large scale football matches. Although these jobs are similar, he initially wanted to be a stills photographer, but his career diverted him to a moving image cameraman.

If you know the exact role you want to do in the media, do not expect to walk straight into that job. You may need to start of as a Runner or Production Assistant and gradually work your way up over time. Don't be put off by this, as career progression in the media can be quick.

I would advise perhaps doing a college course in media production to gain a more clear and accurate insight as to how the media industry functions and to gain a reasonable and competent level of expertise in some of the industries leading Video Editing Suites (Avid for PC, and Final Cut Pro for Mac) and Pro Camcorders. Also, whilst studying, try and get some works experience at a local video production company. Perhaps offer your services free once a week, and this will look great on your CV when you come to apply for jobs. Employers in the Media love to see experience!!

At this moment in time I would say keep your computer and software, and become more familiar with your softwares interface and functions. You will then be able to transfer this understanding to more complex and professional editing system. Remember, don't just jump in at the deep end, as you will sink pretty quickly.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Andrew

Camcorder

Hey man,

Sorry to hear that you're down on your luck. I can't really say i'm in the same postion financially, as I've made a point of covering those bases (house, job etc) first, but i'm also looking to get a foot in the door in the industry & have wanted to for years, often spending money that i didn't really have on gear that I didn't really need. So I guess my advice for you now, is to make sure you that you're stable before you go risking anything on a dream career. You're not gonna be able to pay for a new camera & PC if you can't even afford to eat, so food & shelter and a steady job is what you should be making your main priority.

Then, even if you've got some super-dull job that numbs your brain (like mine), then you'll be able to branch out & use the time that you've got (especially if you're single) to start working on something to get both experience & a little portfolio work. Even doing something like just making a documentary about your life experiences (whether they're good or bad) can give you a unique subject to mould into a production. There is inspiration everywhere, so look around and use whatever you can to create.

But I suppose it all depends on where you wanna be...do you like the indepence & freedom of being able to control your own output? Or would you be happy to work as part of a crew? If it's the former, then do what i mentioned earlier & start expressing what you know & turn that into a documentary, animation, short film etc. But if it's the latter, and you'd like to get into large-scale productions & work as part of a crew, then i've even heard of people literally hanging around movie/TV studios for days, pestering them until they get some kind of rudimentry job - even as a cleaner or something & then once they're in, they'd then managed to get themselves up the ladder that way & finally into directing & camerawork.

So yeah, get yourself stable, get a crap job somewhere (or something awesome if you get lucky) and in the meantime get some practice in writing scripts, making basic productions on whatever you've got to hand. And NETWORK like crazy - you'll often find that the most successful people in the industry are not afraid of talking themselves up & and are definitely not shy. Meet new people, get involved with other people that have similar interests & get yourself known - hopefully for good reasons

Good luck buddy!