Thread: Help editing project on Final Cut Express

Default Help editing project on Final Cut Express

Hi all, I only have had Final cut for 1 or 2 weeks now, so I'm trying to make a green screen video and it's turning into a hassle. Since It's a green screened project I had to find out how to put the back ground in, but I'm having difficulties removing all of the green in chroma key.

My other problem is that at some parts it looks perfect and others the green appears again. Some times it turns the main part... (me) blurry. When I turn off chroma key it's all perfect soo....

Thanks...

You have some interesting learning to do, and it's not something that can be easily described in writing here. The most important part is already over, and that is the filming. If the green screen filming was well lit (as in 'even', and 'no spill' etc) then keying the footage 'could' be fairly easy. If not then you could spend a lot of time and get nothing worth having from it.

FCP can key fairly well IF you have well lit/show source material but it's really not FCP's forte. I normally drop in to Motion or After Effects and use their keyers because, frankly, they are better than the one in FCP. If you have FCP you already have Motion, so it's worth checking out that keyer too.

There are lots of keying tutorial videos around so it's probably best to hunt them down. Since you've only had FCP for a couple of weeks I recommend a one month subscription to Lynda.com (it's only $25) and check out all the FCP and Motion tutorials, not just the one's on keying (which are themselves very good). For keying in particular, check out the FCP 6 and Motion 2 with Larry Jordan as well as the FCP 7 and Motion 3 (which were some one else). Larry does a great job.

Well i don't have FCP I have FINAL CUT EXPRESS.... So I didn't get motion. I only had the free trial of After effects so, yea thank you for the info. I had great lighting and virtually no shadows trough out the film. Its more like a test of what I can do with Final Cut. I got it fine tuned but still have some green spots.

If you know anything I could do for express I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Ok guys what is the problem here... i get a friendly reply and then i reply... nothing happens, its like this in every thread so i don't know what the deal is but, i feel like i have lost respect in this forum...
    iMac 21.5", 8 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, 2 TB EXTERNAL HD. Final cut Express. Final Cut Pro X. Motion 5 for some special effects.

An equal lighting of the green screen is very important. Your subject must be well lighted too, without throwing shadows on the green screen.
    Shadows will cause a different shade of green for your software, so it is more difficult to remove it all, unless you screw the 'tolerance' up.
    But if you do that, there also may dissappear greens that must stay. I don't know the green screen possibilities in FCE. I use FCP.
    The tips of David Partington were OK/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikifiki View Post
    Ok guys what is the problem here... i get a friendly reply and then i reply... nothing happens, its like this in every thread so i don't know what the deal is but, i feel like i have lost respect in this forum...
    I doubt very much a lack of reply has anything to do with you loosing peoples respect. I would suggest that perhaps its merely just a case of people not having a definitive answer for you.
    What would help is for people to see the problem. Export a rough cut and upload it for us to see.

You say you still have spots of green, the likelihood is that if there are green spots showing then the lighting was as good as you had thought. Where are the spots?
    if they are showing through your background then the lighting wasn't even enough.
    If they are on the item you are trying to key around then it'll be spill from lighting that may have been too harsh.

I too work on FCP and am not 100% on what you have and haven't got on your program, I've also done very little keying, perhaps If you have a 3way colour wheel then you can adjust colours using that..

Thanks guys for the tips I really appreciate it. I thank you guys a lot. I will try every thing you guys said and I got a better green screen this week and works out like 70%better which is a lot better to me... So thanks guys and I think I could get even a better green screen in like a month or so... I don't know what to really do with it.... That's up to my creativity I guess