Thread: Analog capture from VHS-C tape into Studio 14 audio sync Problems

1. Default Analog capture from VHS-C tape into Studio 14 audio sync Problems

P-35 Platinum MS-7345 Mobo
    Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
    2.4 GHz, 3328 MB RAM (3.3GB)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT (512 Memory Size)
    Realtek HD Audio Output Sound Onboard, not PCI

DirectX version: 9.0c
    Monitor: Viewsonic VX2035wm Series
    NERO 9 / Pinnacle Studio Movieboard 12.1 with PCI-500

When I go into the CAPTURE for Analog composites devices such as my JVC analog Camcorder, VCR to capture, these are my presets in Studio12.1.

Movieboard Studio 12 > for a Analog VHS-C, or analog Camcorder -
    MPEG CAPTURE Three options Video CD, SVCD Compatible, and DVD Compatible.

Video Source Pinnacle 500-PCI
    TV Standard – NTSC 4.3
    AUDIO – Realtek HAD Primary Input – line Volume (from onboard soundcard
    Using supplied Studio audio cable from camera RCA analog audio to soundcard)
    AVI or MPEG 1/ or 2 (I have AVI enabled)
    DATA RATE– 6000 kbits/sec

Unless I’m Capturing from a MPEG 1 or 2 file from digital camera, that I have to worry about these settings below? Right now, I want to capture analog AVI Composite video.

MPEG TYPE > Mpeg1, Mpeg2
    RESOLUTION> 352x480, 480x480, 720x480

I have my JVC analog camcorder hooked up as follows:
    From Camcorder >VIDEO-OUT to PCI-500 VIDEO IN
    From Camcorder AUDIO OUT to LINE-IN to my Onboard soundcard (Realtek HD)

I’m not very sure about the MPEG settings, since I want to capture only old analog VHS video for now.

I started with the Studio MovieBoard 12.1,but just upgraded to the 14 Ultimate and now when I capture from analog,VHS-C tapes, the sound from the original tape is out of sync with the video. Some have mentioned if my sound card worked with other programs and not with Studio, it could be a paging file or virtual memory issue.

Tried this - Clicked on Video Input > COMPOSITE,

PRESETS - AVI, CUSTOM – GOOD, (I’ll try “BETTER” next time)

AUDIO SETTINGS – Include Audio is checked. PCM
    When I turn on the camcorder I can see the preview of the video, but when I press START CAPTURE, The preview screen goes black and the ‘Captured’ counter is at 00:00:00:00, and the Frames dropped is ‘0’.

STILL NO SOUND FROM analog CAPTURE - I can capture video from analog camcorder, but no sound from video. There must be something somewhere turned off, although when I unplug the audio RCA from the camera and the sound card (which was line-in, from camera to computer) and plug in my speakers (line-out) I do get normal window sounds and my reg music. Weird. I have updated my GPU driver recently and the date is 10-16-2010 version 6.14.0012.6099, also my Realtek HD audio.

I checked my Virtual Memory in SYSTEM and this is what I saw >
    Boot Drive C:\ Initial Virtual MEM. = 2046
    Maximum " " = 4092
    DATA DRIVE F:\ 0
    I also shut all background APPS off while capturing analog. Would something like this below, help me with the sync problems?
    I just found this and wondered if anyone had to change these settings to fix the sync problem:
    Issue: Sound and video are not synchronized on video captured from an analog capture card.

Resolution: This problem can occur during capture from an analog capture card if CPU utilization exceeds 95 percent. To avoid this problem, configure virtual memory to be “System managed” by following these steps:

1. Choose Start -> Control Panel.
    2. Open the System control panel.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. In the Virtual memory box, click Change.
    6. Select System managed size, and click Set.
    7. Click OK.
    Thank you!

2. Default Sound out of sync with analog capture Studio 14 HD Ultimate

First editing program I bought was the studio 12.1 Movieboard , it came with a PCI-500 capture device…video in/out, S-video, and firewire, but NO AUDIO. Just came with a Y (RCA) cord to run the Audio-out from JVC Analog camcorder into my onboard Realtek HD sound card. I've been having MAJOR SYNC ISSUES with video not matching audio as much as 8 second delay. (Both Studio 12, and most recently the Studio Ultimate 14.

I have spent countless hours and wasted many TDK DVD+R discs trying to troubleshoot why I am having sync/dropped frames while trying to capture analog VHS-C camcorder tapes to ultimately burn to DVD.

Pinnacle support and myself have been going round and round, mostly on my part, they never tell me anything except if they don't receive a reply within five days, then they will assume the case is closed....! WHAT??? The only response from them is to turn down the DATA-RATE from 6 to 4 to 2, but the audio is still off. Then they told me to update my Nvidia GeForce 8600GT GPU, still the same problem.

Doesn't matter if it's my canon G6 Digital video, analog Panasonic VCR, or JVC 1997 Analog Camcorder, it's all off sync. I've de-fragged, cleaned up disc, emptied all temp/internet files, redirected the video to go to secondary 500GB HDD (Storage) instead of to my Boot Drive 74GB Raptor HDD for apps, to minimize paging files and resources, and end tasked all programs running in the background before I start to capture to Studio.

Someone mentioned a pass-thru method using a DV tape camera (without any tape) connect JVC analog camcorder into the DV tape camera, (with VHS-C tapes) then use a firewire connect to go to computer. Is this my only option?

Then someone mentioned I would need a Device that has the TBC to correctly LOCK-IN both the video and Audio. Or the ADVC Canopus 100 or 300, that both the video and audio go in on the same device.

I have a Panasonic S-29 VCR, but with no FIREWIRE or USB, just Composite RCA A/V, so I can't use this Ultimate 14 studio using this VCR, and I have an old GONG SHOW tape of our band, and a video of my dad's ashes being buried at sea, that I need to put on a CD or DVD, with about 50 VHS-C camcorder tapes I also have to capture, edit, and make movie to put on DVD.

So eventually I want to buy a Canon or Sony Digital HD 1080 camcorder that I can use with this Ultimate 14 Studio, and at the same time presently, I will need something to help me with using my stuio14 HD, along with capturing all my analog content and burning onto a DVD without having all these audio sync problems.

I don't have the money to go out and buy a new VCR/DVD Combo with Firewire, just to capture the gong show or use the VHS-C converter to playback into the VCR, but if that's my only option...then again, I think I could not do any editing with this device, only record directly to DVD from the VCR, that's it. So if I can't edit off the compressed burned DVD, then what's the point?

TBC, someone mentioned I will need that to lock in frames with the audio, I don't know. Please help!