Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxford Based Video Production Company

Default Oxford Based Video Production Company

Hi Guys,

I'm the co-founder and creative director of Oxford Media Solutions. We produce corporate videos for organisations of all sizes. We're currently looking to expand our network of media professionals - we want young, dynamic, forward-thinking people. If this interests you get in touch; we can't promise to send work your way all the time, but fairly soon we are looking to hire someone full-time, so who knows.

Find out more about us at: Oxford Media Solutions | Professional Video Production in Oxford

or email: enquiries@oxfordmediasolutions.co.uk

Look forward to speaking with some of you.

Tom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomoms View Post
    we want young, dynamic, forward-thinking people.
    As opposed to experienced, dynamic, forward-thinking people?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As opposed to experienced, dynamic, forward-thinking people?
    Are you suggesting that young people can't be experienced? We're looking for young people because that's what is needed in our organisation. It goes without saying that experience is required, which is why we say "media professionals"

At what age do you stop being young and middle age has crept up on you.

5. Default

Hi,

I'm all of the things you mentioned
    I live just outside birmingham around 45 minute drive to Oxford, though i'd prefer to stay at home as i dont have my license *yet*
    Heres my youtube: YouTube - VertigoProductions1's Channel There will be more content uploaded soon.
    I've been doing video editing for over 2 years as well as video promotion and graphic design, i have various contacts in the industry including voice over actors, web designers, marketing experts and graphic designers.

I'd love to help and i don't need loads of work as at the moment i'm getting approached by quite a few people who want me to do jobs for them like i said i do "video promotion" which means i've built up quite a fan base acrosss a multitude of websites and platforms.

Thank you,
    Charlie, Vertigo Productions

Blog Entries

Are you suggesting that young people can't be experienced?
    As you are well aware I was commenting on the implied ageism in your post.
    Though it's no longer implied:
    We're looking for young people because that's what is needed in our organisation.
    It goes without saying that experience is required, which is why we say "media professionals"
    A professional is someone who is paid to do something. Experience has nothing to do with it.

Yes I'm being picky and maybe it's because I'm soon to turn 50 (and I'm not in media and certainly not a "media professional" and not looking for work in that area) but your requirement for a "young" person just hit a nerve. Sorry if I snapped, but if you think the work would best suit a young person, then surely it's better to describe the work and environment and let the potential candidate decide whether they might be suitable or not.
    Tim

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As you are well aware I was commenting on the implied ageism in your post.
    Though it's no longer implied:

A professional is someone who is paid to do something. Experience has nothing to do with it.

Yes I'm being picky and maybe it's because I'm soon to turn 50 (and I'm not in media and certainly not a "media professional" and not looking for work in that area) but your requirement for a "young" person just hit a nerve. Sorry if I snapped, but if you think the work would best suit a young person, then surely it's better to describe the work and environment and let the potential candidate decide whether they might be suitable or not.
    I must agree with Tim i work in the media industry and do freelance work to earn my living which is a job so i'd be a classed as a media professional i think that in your post you could of said somthing more like what you are looking for such as the skills and abilities of a person, you can work on projects and get paid to do it but still use windows movie maker and thats classed as a Media Professional still.

Wow, haven't been back for a while but this seems to have attracted some attention. Tim, you've taken things a little out of proportion here so just to bring things back to earth a little bit - we're not an "ageist" organisation at all. We are just looking for younger people and that's that. I can give reasons but I don't need to so I won't.
    Your logic is stightly flawed too, from what you have said about professionals and experience you imply that the two have nothing to do with eachother. So does this mean I can be a professional video producer without any experience what-so-ever? I think not.
    And lastly, it's an interesting recruitment strategy to allow the candidate to decide whether they are suitable for the job or not, I think we will stick the the traditional methods of deciding for ourselves but thank you anyway.

Blog Entries

I'm not really having a pop at you, just the imbalance that we seem to have in society.

You may not be ageist organisation, but your "ad" certainly was.

Should you be able to specify age? Well, I think you should.
    But I can't advertise specifically for a man.
    Nor could I specify a woman beyoud child-bearing age.

Where's the fairness?

As for "So does this mean I can be a professional video producer without any experience what-so-ever? I think not." I'm afraid you are wrong there. The forums are full of stories of unfortunate couples who have booked a professional videographers for their wedding day and been given the most appalling video (or nothing at all). It is not a profession requiring practicioners to have demonstrated certain skills, or to have built up experience. Obviously there are organisations like the IOV who do certify people, and I'd urge anyone booking a "professional" to ask for any qualifications, but there is no requirement.

Furthurmore, shooting down my own argument about experience, it is perfectly possible for someone to be very experienced and still complete crap!

As for my suggestion, you (quite probably deliberately) did not understand what I said. I wasn't suggesting they decide whether you offer them the job or not, simply that they decide whether they think they might be suitable - ie whether it's worth them applying. If you posted the reasons for your requirements, it might cut out a number of people who meet your age requirements (and other specified requirements), but would not be interested for other reasons.
    Tim

Tim,

I didn't mean to offend you either so I do apologise for this - and the reference to age wasn't really the key message I was trying to get across here. I am relatively new to the forum and the message was more of a networking opportunity for my own organisation and videographers on the site, which in my opinion is where the value of this forum really lies.

I completely agree that there are too many people calling themselves "professionals" out there that do a terrible job, but just because they calling themselves professionals doesn't make it so. I consider myself a professional; this is my job, I am committed to providing a good service and there are too many people out there jumping on the bandwagon saying they are too. Hence my requirement for professionals. I have to disagree regarding the experience issue; I have never in my life come across anyone (whether it be in the video industry or any other for that matter) that is very experienced at what they do and also crap at what they do, but maybe we have differing ideas about the definition of experienced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast