Thread: HDV Storage Tapes

1. Default HDV Storage Tapes

Hey Guys

Got afew questions. First of all, with so many cameras on the market i basically picked one and hoping for the best it costs about $3500 AU. Its The HVR V1, i am going to be using for snowboarding skating surfing ect and wanted to know if it would suit this field of work? now if your going to give me some other cameras please dont go over $5000 au haha.

Now with the HDV tapes is it possible to buy over 300 of them and once all the memory has been used in one i can change it over and use the next one. Then when i get back home put it in my camera and put them onto my computer or RAID.

Also when converting HDV footage onto a computer or RAID do i need some kind of converting software or can i edit straight away or do i need some kind of special extra kit because they are tapes not solid. Never used tapes before. I have a mac tower btw or will have.

Thanks alot,
    shan.

I'm no camera expert, but as far as the storage and capturing I can probably help. You should be able to capture the footage straight from the tape to whatever software you're using by attaching the camera to your mac using a fire wire. As for your HDV tapes question I'm not really sure what your asking, you can use as many as you like as long as you don't record over you footage. I believe they are usually 63 minute tapes, so you record this ammount of real time footage, label it up and put in a new tape.

3. Default

thanks alot mate!

what i mean is lets say i come in from a day of filming and have two HDV tapes i put them away in storage and i do this for afew months, then when i come back home i have lets say i have 100 tapes do i need to put them in my camera one by one to upload them to my computer?

Yes you do, and you have to do it in real time which can be quite a lengthy process, but this does give you some good time to revise everything you've shot and editors often use this time to log what they think are the best shots. Another way to do it is to watch all of the footage before you capture and take a note of the timecode, and you can then capture just what you need by doing a batch capture, that way you only have what you need on your system, because by the sounds of it your going to have a lot of footage which will take up a lot of memory.

5. Default

thanks alot mate! yeah i am going away for 4 months during the australian snow season travelling around with afew sponsored boarders and skiers and i am planning to film everyday, with the memory side of things apparently i need to get a raid or something like that for my computer 20TB or something crazy like that!

Another question for the tapes does it matter wheather its an HDV tape or DV tape?
    thanks alot mate and sorry for the questions!

I've heard that there is not that much difference with HDV and DV tapes, you can happily record HD footage onto a DV tape but HDV tapes are just a bit sturdier. I'm not sure if things have changed and there have been discoveries into why you should record onto a HDV tape but as far as I know either is fine but HDV tapes are a lot more expensive, especially at the scale you're talking about.

7. Default

haha yeah i should probably stick to DV tapes i think they are like $10 each Au what ever that is in pounds.