Thread: My opening scene for the school plays I have been filming.Greateful for any feedback!

Default My opening scene for the school plays I have been filming.Greateful for any feedback!

This is the opening scene I have filmed for the school plays I have been filming.

I put this little part on the start of each play then got a scene from the crowed ariving on the actualy day and then they play its self.

The feedback I have had from the teacher and children has been great.They are absolutley delighted with the filming but I want a more critical view from the experts on this site as I am looking to improve as I go along.

I have already noticed a few things I could have improved on but would be grateful for any views good or bad.

Fire away...............

Well I'm sure it was a great performance. I have one word for you regarding the filming. TRIPOD.

Using one will greatly improve your videos.

Blog Entries

Funnily enough, whilst I am also a traditionalist with regard to the tripod (with the notable exception of wanting to create action/confusion) I thought it worked rather well with the children's voices in this application.
    Given the length of what is likely to follow, I don't think this is too long, but it might be good to have some titles over it, identifying the play, author, performers etc.
    The only thing I really disliked was the use of the zoom: you rarely see a slow zoom in professional work.
    I'd suggest either show the detail shot and cut to the wide shot or, if it's really tricky to work out where the detail is, show the detail: hold for a second or two then crash zoom to the wide shot and hold that for a second or two.
    The only shot that I can think of that is to my mind a legitimate use of a slow zoom is where you want to show how small and insignificant something is against a big backdrop. For example, image a close-up of a climber - then you slow zoom out to show him on a rock face,keep zooming, so you can see there's little below him and keep on zooming so eventually he looks tiny against this massive rock. That can be dramatic! Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic.

Point being, always have a motivation for any shot or transition (which is sort of what a zoom is)
    Tim

I did use a tripod at first but the shot did not look right.

I know it sounds A bit stupid to say but the shot seemed to still.

However I do think the opening shot was to shakey.I put it down to it being so cold and me shivering.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Well I'm sure it was a great performance. I have one word for you regarding the filming. TRIPOD.

Using one will greatly improve your videos.

On the finished dvd the opening scene has the title,date and class on it.

Reguarding the zoom do you think I would be better using a slow fade rather than a zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Funnily enough, whilst I am also a traditionalist with regard to the tripod (with the notable exception of wanting to create action/confusion) I thought it worked rather well with the children's voices in this application.
    Given the length of what is likely to follow, I don't think this is too long, but it might be good to have some titles over it, identifying the play, author, performers etc.
    The only thing I really disliked was the use of the zoom: you rarely see a slow zoom in professional work.
    I'd suggest either show the detail shot and cut to the wide shot or, if it's really tricky to work out where the detail is, show the detail: hold for a second or two then crash zoom to the wide shot and hold that for a second or two.
    The only shot that I can think of that is to my mind a legitimate use of a slow zoom is where you want to show how small and insignificant something is against a big backdrop. For example, image a close-up of a climber - then you slow zoom out to show him on a rock face,keep zooming, so you can see there's little below him and keep on zooming so eventually he looks tiny against this massive rock. That can be dramatic! Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic.

Point being, always have a motivation for any shot or transition (which is sort of what a zoom is)

I totally understand what you mean maybe next time your in that position I would use the tripod and then add the movement in post. This will give you more control over how mush wobble to include.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    On the finished dvd the opening scene has the title,date and class on it.
    So, youre ahead of me there. Excellent!

Reguarding the zoom do you think I would be better using a slow fade rather than a zoom?
    With the zoom business, we'r really down to a matter of taste, rather than what's "right",but taking note of what you see in professional productions is usually a good guide. Like the use of zoom, I'd suggest you rarely see a dissolve(I think this is what you mean - where one image dissolves into another, I tend to think of a "fade" as a fade into or out of black or another colour or background) from a close up detail to a wide shot or vice versa. Normally a dissolve is between two contrasting shots which may be close up and wide, but will be of different scenes. Personally I'd go with a straight cut but then again I take the simple approach (although a cut isn't always the simplest edit to make) and only deviate from a cut if there is a very good reason.

As I say,it's really a matter of taste: try it, see what works for you.
    Tim

Never thought about doing it that way to be honest.

Will defenatly be using that trick in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I totally understand what you mean maybe next time your in that position I would use the tripod and then add the movement in post. This will give you more control over how mush wobble to include.

At 0:32 of the video I zoom out after a close up of the painting showing the detail.

I want to show close up detail but also the whole painting as well.

How would you go about doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    So, youre ahead of me there. Excellent!

With the zoom business, we'r really down to a matter of taste, rather than what's "right",but taking note of what you see in professional productions is usually a good guide. Like the use of zoom, I'd suggest you rarely see a dissolve(I think this is what you mean - where one image dissolves into another, I tend to think of a "fade" as a fade into or out of black or another colour or background) from a close up detail to a wide shot or vice versa. Normally a dissolve is between two contrasting shots which may be close up and wide, but will be of different scenes. Personally I'd go with a straight cut but then again I take the simple approach (although a cut isn't always the simplest edit to make) and only deviate from a cut if there is a very good reason.

As I say,it's really a matter of taste: try it, see what works for you.

10. Default

Just want to say a quick thanks to TimStannard and Midnight Blue for your tips and advice you have given me.

Blokes like you make this fourm a great place to learn and improve video and editing skills.

Thanks guys.