Thread: Clean up those unused takes

1. Default Clean up those unused takes

I have recently added support for Sony Vegas session files (Veg) to MediaSweeper.

MediaSweeper will show you all the used & unused files for each project and optionally move the unused files to another location for subsequent deletion.

Handy for letting you know ecactly where the media is located for a particular project and if it actually exists for a project.

Also works for multiple projects which share media as well as a heap of user defined file specs.

Donationware of course so if you find it useful then show your support.

MediaSweeper - Adobe Audition® / Reaper File Cleanup Utility

Unused Takes? Are you sure? Vegas uses takes and then there is unused Media within the Project Media pane. Not sure if this will differentiate? Are you?

Vegas does have the Clean lightening bolt. And there are scripts that will place unused media in a Sub Bin.

3. Default

Let me be more specific - if its not listed in the Veg file then its unused.

I didn't realise that if you had multiple Veg files which all shared some of the media (say different mixes) that the 'clean lightening bolt' or these scripts were intelligent enough to not delete media used in the other Veg files - because MediaSweeper is.

Not being an avid (no pun intended) user of Vegas I didn't realise that these tools were also smart enough not to delete your various renders, lyric files, session notes, sfk files or any other relevant but associated files that weren't listed in your Veg file(s).

Enthusiasm I guess is no substitute for ignorance.

Anyway the tool is there to be used or not.

Unused takes....one of my gripes with Vegas. I have a few template projects that I use regularly - replacing the media with "add as takes'. Problem is...this leaves all of the original media in the project bin. The lightening bolt doesn't get rid of them. Only way is to do it manually. Will Mediasweeper? Or has anyone got some tip I'm missing?

On my Vegas wish list: "Replace media".

5. Default

Like myself MediaSweeper has lots of subtle benefits but in concept its simple.
    If its not listed in the session file (in this case Veg file) and its listed in the session folder then it is not required (unused if you like) by the session/project.

MS works with All versions of CEP/Audition & Reaper as well as the last 3 versions (which are the only versions I have tested) of Vegas.
    While all these daws have some sort of 'clean project' functionality none of them cover the functionality of MediaSweeper.

Its just a matter of having choices and what works for you.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. Does it plug-in to Vegas?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Does it plug-in to Vegas?
    No - as its used to cater for several different daws it was not built as a plug-in
    Once you try it you will see why it makes no sense to be part of any daw.

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
    ...it was not built as a plug-in.
    Take or Event information is kept within the Vegas project file. Unless this s/w can interrogate the veg file I'm really at a loss to see how this would work.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Take or Event information is kept within the Vegas project file. Unless this s/w can interrogate the veg file I'm really at a loss to see how this would work.
    I thought I'd replied to this one -

Yes it reads the veg file and in fact can optionally read ALL the Veg files in a particular folder in case you do alternate mixes