Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macro agrovision vhs to dvd

Default macro agrovision vhs to dvd

i have started to transfer my collection of vhs vids to dvd .the idea being to reclaim a lot of shelf space and standardise my film library to dvd.
    my problem arises when i try to copy some films using pinnacle se9 and pioneerdvd-rw 107d and nvidia geforce fx5900.
    when playing the tape to the pc in pinnacle the pics perfect,when i select capture the incomeing picture /sound is perfect the recorded image has a big white band across it,sound still o.k(prooved on test recording)
    macrovision as i understand it is a fluctuation of the brigthness,so this white bar ....is it macrovision protection?
    i have already paid a lot of money for the privilege of owning these films and i would like to be able to continue enjoying them in the future on dvd.
    as a pensioner i am not in a position to pay out a lot of money to replace what i already have.
    polite comments and help to me to resolve this problem will be much apreciated by me and no doubt a lot of others in this same situation.
    regards ken mulford

Ken, I'm not sure if that problem is a symptom of Macrovision or not. If it is, while there are few regular contributors to this site who won't have a great deal of sympathy with your predicament, I doubt anyone will volunteer information as to how to do something that is, in effect, illegal - whether we agree with that or not. (Most of my CD collection is vinyl albums I already owned and yes, I resented having to pay again for something I already paid for once: unfortunately, the vendors of music, videos etc. see what we want to do as the illegal copying of copyright material). My suggestion would be to Google on 'Defeat VHS Macrovision' or something similar: I have heard that there are products out there that claim to be able to do what you want to do - if indeed it is a Macrovision issue. Tread carefully, though.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

I think I've seen Macrovision interference before and it made the whole screen go wierd, not just a bar, might be just a tracking or head problem with the VCR, but I could well be wrong as it sounds like you can watch the films OK on the VCR.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Default macrvision vhs to dvd

ian thanks for your reply,
    yes you are right in the way the authorities look on copy.you obviously understand the situation by your reply.if i say that i want to use my vids on a projector, to use any temp disabling system appears to be acceptable.
    at this moment i do not know if the white band across the middle of the frame is macrovision!
    regards ken

thanks bgarthp,
    vhs playback on the vcr is perfect.
    regards ken mulford

Ken: after posting my response, I did some more searching on Macrovision to try to find out what the symptoms were. From the little time I spent on it, what you describe are not classic symptoms. However, I did find references to similar symptoms (notably a large white rectangle in the middle of the image) which seemed to be a function of the capture card driver. That's an angle you might like to pursue. (It seems that, by reverting to older versions of the driver, some people cured their particular problem).
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

hi Ian,
    you are voicing my doubts.
    i have a feeling it is something to do with the nvidia fx5900 .i will find an earlier driver and try it out.
    regards ken

hi Ian
    i loaded the earliest driver and for one brief moment it looked like it was going to work.
    on loading and starting copy the first frame came up bright green the second frame started to copy clear then the white bar briefly appeared several times then it set .white bar back!!!
    it does look as though the problem is with the card but why?
    has nvidia got an agreement with certain video companies to initiate anti copying through inbuilt
    ciruitry?
    i have been trying to get around this problem for some time now but nowhere have i seen anything on forum boards relating to a solid white bar across the middle of the copy frame,i am not unique somebody must have the same problem?
    regards ken

are you trying to capture pal videos as ntsc?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Ken: if you Google on 'nvidia capture white rectangle' the good news - or bad news, depending on how you look at it - is that you are not alone. The consensus seems to be that, if this is not a Macrovision problem, it's some other sort of copy protection problem. There's quite a bit of stuff out there, but a common solution seems to refer to a driver release 1.08 (which is also apparently hard to find). Regarding your other question: so far as I know, virtually every manufacturer of any kind of hardware that can be used to copy copyright material has indeed come under pressure to ensure that huis solution prevents this happening: it's not unique to nVidia. Good luck...

Ian ,
    i will try to find a driver 1.08 .i'll let you know how it goes.
    thanks ken

mrlipring,
    no ,i am trying to copy pal vhs to dvd via pinnacle se9.
    ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast