Thread: extreme noob doesnt know where to begin :P

Default extreme noob doesnt know where to begin :P

i appologize if this is in bad taste, some forums dont take well to extreme noobs, but im kind of frustrated with finding the info i need on the web so i figured i would take a more personal approach.

first of all, a little background. I'm 18 and i've been shooting photography for about 6 or 7 years now and im making a bit of a name for myself in the local extreme sports community. so im not a complete noob when it comes to visual arts, i know exposure and the mechanics of operating a video camera and composition and lighting and all of the hardware aspects. anyways, as im developing my passion into more of a business through ad campaigns for local sponsored riders and the shops (mainly kiteboarding, snow kiting, but i also work with bmx and skateboard and other fun stuff) i find myself wanting to leap into the big world of video.

anyways my real concern is with software. in photography post processing is extremely important to the photo, it makes or breaks a shot, im assuming video is similar, but i have no idea where to start.

im looking to make videos like this: which i know wont come without many years of experience but thats kind of the end goal.

so where to begin with making a video like this? i know the camera and composition aspects, but im specifically wondering what kind of post processing was used. the way the colors are and the focus obviously isnt natural and im wondering how that is achieved (i dont need a tutorial, just point me in the right direction :P).

my photo assistant has final cut pro which we are both slowly learning to use, we also have a 7d and some lenses for video, i might add a nikon body with video as i have a quite large nikon system for photography. we've built dolleys and a jib.

so is this kind of effect attainable in final cut or do i need after effects to produce that "look" in a video (i understand the slow parts were done with twixtor, ill likely invest in that on whatever software platform i choose).

if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The focus I would say is what was shot with the camera. In post the only thing I would say was done is the speed, colour saturation reduced, increased contrast. I'm not familiar with the tools in FCP, so I can't say exactly what was used but thats something to get you started.

I agree with Midnight blue, the colour correction is probably the biggest part of the post here, saturation, contrast etc, and it looks like they've added a vignette around the edges. Some of the Focus was probably done in post as well. I've done that sort of thing in Adobe After Effects, where you add a blur and then remove it to simulate a focus pull. After Effects can also be very good for colour correction, but I think this sort of look can be obtained in Final Cut. A lot of this was shot in Slo Mo and some of this was sped up in post. I was suprised to see that that video was shot on a Canon 7D though, as I was under the impression that the 7D can only shoot at 50 or 60 fps, and this looks like it's been cranked up to a much higher frame rate than that.

Quote Originally Posted by martchap View Post
    I agree with Midnight blue, the colour correction is probably the biggest part of the post here, saturation, contrast etc, and it looks like they've added a vignette around the edges. Some of the Focus was probably done in post as well. I've done that sort of thing in Adobe After Effects, where you add a blur and then remove it to simulate a focus pull. After Effects can also be very good for colour correction, but I think this sort of look can be obtained in Final Cut. A lot of this was shot in Slo Mo and some of this was sped up in post. I was suprised to see that that video was shot on a Canon 7D though, as I was under the impression that the 7D can only shoot at 50 or 60 fps, and this looks like it's been cranked up to a much higher frame rate than that.
    it was shot at 60 fps and edited with a program called twixtor which creates frames based on the footage you have. so twixtor took the 60 fps and created frames to slow it down to 2000 fps. pretty cool software...

Yeah that's pretty amazing! I'll have to look out for that because it did look very good!

wow , that is pretty amazing!! I will have to check that out