Thread: 3 minute short for college - advice

Default 3 minute short for college - advice

Hi all,

I'm a multimedia student who recently finished my first movie project. It had to be 3 minutes long and called 'The Meeting'. It was marked on camera angles and lighting.

Only joined here today, but it seems like a great place to get advice and help.

If anyone has time to watch the short and point out things I can improve on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

It's great to see a movie for which the brief was specific (in this case an exercise in two particular aspects) where someone has taken the trouble to ensure that engaging the audience is still the most important thing.

Nice story, nice humour, and I always love a postscript. Choice of music was bang on - we know exactly what's happening within half a beat of "Je t'aime".

But for the brief: I thought the lighting was generally very good (not that I know anything about how it's achieved, only the results), though I found some of the shots ended up looking substantially warmer than others (eg the putting on makeup was very yellow, whereas the shots in the office were distincly "cold" - apart from the lingerie on the floor shot, which for me caught the perfect balance)

I have to say the mix of camera angles was very good: I didn't get bored with any shot or feel anything was repeating, and yet I didn't "notice" our viewpoint changing from one shot to another - I didn't find myself suddenly thinking "that's an interesting angle" or "I wonder how they got that shot" - which is exactly how it should be: the shots followed logically and helped rather than hindered the flow of the story. I found the continuity between the shot angles very good: case in point when she glances up at the clock tower, the angle you shot the tower at is absolutely perfect.

To be picky (and I always am) I did notice a preponderance of "mirror" shots, all ncely executed, but we had: Make up mirror, car rear view mirror, car door mirror, shoe shop and lift. Obviously you were looking to pick up point here, but this was the only thing which I found at all noticable (and to be fair, it was only when we got to the lift that I realised that I'd subconsciously been noticing all the mirror shots)

Strangely you open with by far the worst shot! It's not dreadful by any means, but is not up to the standard of the rest of the film. In my opinion it is not perfectly composed: Emily's head is rather high up in the frame and could be a tad further right to comply with therule of thirds, and the highlights are blown out (which matter here because the highlights are on her face) It seems her torso and head were rather too harshly lit.

But for all the criticism this deserves much praise. You've clearly paid attention to detail and all credit to you for making a proper film out of an assignment.

(Now can I see the 5 min version?)
    Tim

Well a big thanks for the review and advice Tim - wasn't expecting someone to put so much time into it. I'm glad you liked it overall and its nice to get some good feedback and constructive criticism.

Its funny about the whole mirror thing. I'd no idea how often I actually used them but now it seems so obvious. (in the 5 minute version, its on the ceiling!)
    Regarding lighting, the makeup scene is very yellowy alright. Throughout the movie I used a portable LED panel to add some white and balance out the yellow cameras pick up from indoor bulbs, but never used it on this scene cause I didn't think I needed to - theres one lesson i've learnt. Will have a look at some colour correction in FCP to improve it though.

Never noticed the bad composition and lighting with Emily either. I can really see it now though - and it does look out of place with other scenes. Moving her head (or camera) would have made a massive difference. Must be more aware of the ole rule of thirds thing.

Again thanks for your comments and encouraging words. Its a big help to have the faults pointed out and narrowed down. It can only improve what I produce in the future. So roll on next assignment - you never know it might even be a two hour feature called 'mirror mirror on the wall'

Not really much to add to what Tim has already said. If your interior shots are yellow, are you doing a white balance before shooting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingpaul View Post
    (in the 5 minute version, its on the ceiling!)
    I should have anticipated that!
    Tim