Thread: File formats...

Default File formats...

Okay I'll try and keep this brief...

I recently traded in a miniDV cam and bough a cam that records in HD to an SD card with files ending with .MTS. Now the theory is it's the same file size, resolution, frame rate, etc as the Canon XH-A1 which I also use and captures files as M2T.

However when it comes to playing back (or editing!) the MTS files the computer really slows down to a point that makes it impossible to work with. But when I'm editing M2T files I don't have any problems.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to convert files?

Any help appreciated, Fraser

...or codecs (which I know nothing about)?

2 things to do:-

1] Download a free video and audio file analyser, G-Spot, install it and let it analyse both of these files just drag one file at a time onto the GS interface. Then compare what GS is telling you. It is very simple to do and often helps me*to get an idea of just what is contained in a video. It will also inform me if I have the necessary CODEC to read it. If it tells you you have the necessary CODECS for both files, then you should be good to go and would imply that Vegas is capable to do the job. Chances are that you are OK.*

And after you are aware of any dissimilarities OR NOT you could :-

2] Rename a copy of one of your MTS file from myfile.mts to myfile.m2t. Try that. See if the file performs any better on your Vegas timeline. It should!

In this era of file complexities, and companies not adhering to a naming convention, there are many*video file envelopes being created without naming consistency. Why? I haven't the foggiest. The naming, and other stamping, of a video file or "envelope" is *only that, a way of wrapping a video file to indicate to a pc what program that pc should use on it. If the program is having to check up each and every time while it is being used then the pc will start to get constipated and eventually fall upon it's sword in vane attempt to comply with your wishes.*

Thanks Grazie, I've tried G-Spot analyser (useful bit of software) and all appears that the files use different codecs...

M2T Files...
    DSH Friendly Name CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)
    DSH DirectShow CLSID {3AC8EA8C-990A-424A-BD7B-D5B57A9DEB83}
    FIL File Description CyberLink Video/SP Filter
    FIL Company Name CyberLink Corp.
    FIL File Version 8.4.205
    FIL Internal Name CLVSD.AX

MTS Files...
    DSH Friendly Name ffdshow Video Decoder
    DSH DirectShow CLSID {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}
    FIL File Description DirectShow and VFW video and audio decoding/encoding/processing filter
    FIL File Version 1.0.5.2811
    FIL Internal Name ffdshow

The problem is although I can see they're different I've no idea how to go about remedying the situation. Tried changing the extension too but there was no change in playback performance or editing even when Vegas is set to Draft>Quarter (wish it could have been that easy!). I've reconverted down from 1080p to 720p and it works but obviously there's some loss in data and it's going to take 8 hours which completely does away with any time I'm saving from capturing it from an HDV cam. I'm usually happy using Windows Media Player but tried installing VLC. Playback was not only worse but different, all pixelated and 'blocky' and the frame rate wasn't any better.

If there was any problem with the playback of HDV I'd say the computer wasn't fast enough to deal with it but as there isn't I'm pretty sure it's got to be something more technical and software based.

Thanks for your reply, you obviously invested some time in it!

*Ok. Now try this.*

1] Open a new Vegas project

2] Place the mts file on the tl

3] Now go to Project Settings and use the Match Media option by navigating to the folder and file you placed on the tl. *Click Apply

What this will have done would have matched to whatever is in the MTS file to project settings that Vegas could recognise. Once here, why not render out to a 1080 that WILL work.*

Question? Why did you choose 720?

Anyway, once you can get going with these MTS files tender to a useful/editable format and go forward.*

That has worked perfectly and you've saved me time through converting indefinitely!

I used 720 just because it worked by experimenting. I figured if I reduced the file size things might flow better... and they did but obviously lost a bit of definition.

Thanks again, Fraser

He's like a magician.

Quote Originally Posted by optheatre View Post
    That has worked perfectly and you've saved me time through converting indefinitely!
    Fraser, which part worked?