Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What format should you sve to in Sony Vegas 9 if you want to use for TV work?

Default What format should you sve to in Sony Vegas 9 if you want to use for TV work?

Been asked to film a short interview that might be used on tv and am not sure what format to save it in.

I am using Sony Vegas 9.

Also is it standard practice to put any footage onto a disc and then forward it on to tv company?

Dont have a clue as I am new to this game.

Usually Betacam and HDCam are the best way to go, but HDV is often fine too--ask. Also ask what delivery medium they want because every station is different when it comes to that. And don't forget to add around 30-seconds of color bars and test tones to the front of the video. Ask them what level the test tones should be at. Any station will have a data sheet with the specs they want for video delivery. And for pete sake, don't do anything stupid like normalizing the audio!

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    Usually Betacam and HDCam are the best way to go, but HDV is often fine too--ask. Also ask what delivery medium they want because every station is different when it comes to that. And don't forget to add around 30-seconds of color bars and test tones to the front of the video. Ask them what level the test tones should be at. Any station will have a data sheet with the specs they want for video delivery. And for pete sake, don't do anything stupid like normalizing the audio!

Thanks for the reply.

I am very new to this game so not not doing somthing stupid wont be a problem as I dont have a clue where to start or finnish.

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    I am very new to this game so not not doing somthing stupid wont be a problem as I dont have a clue where to start or finnish.
    Don't feel bad. I was involved in Television from the 1960s and, had you asked me a couple of years ago, I would have said render it to AV NTSC or PAL, depending where you are. However, now that HD TV is beginning to predominate, this is a good question.

I do know that many satellite broadcasters are now using MPEG4 for transmission, so that may be a good default. I would ask two questions: 1) What format do you want it in? and 2) do you want 4:3 or 16:9 picture aspect ratios. Never hurts to ask and Sony Vegas 9 can accommodate whatever they need. I hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Don't feel bad. I was involved in Television from the 1960s and, had you asked me a couple of years ago, I would have said render it to AV NTSC or PAL, depending where you are. However, now that HD TV is beginning to predominate, this is a good question.

I do know that many satellite broadcasters are now using MPEG4 for transmission, so that may be a good default. I would ask two questions: 1) What format do you want it in? and 2) do you want 4:3 or 16:9 picture aspect ratios. Never hurts to ask and Sony Vegas 9 can accommodate whatever they need. I hope this is helpful.
    Thanks for you reply.

I am doing the interview for a late night British tv show that has a bit of a cult following. I know ifs filmed in 16:9 and it not broadcasted in HD as far as I know.

I dont want to sound like a total amateur (which is not far from the truth) when I am dealing with the production company when it comes to how much to charge for the interview .If I ask to much they wont be interested or if I ask to little they might not take me seriousely.

I know they dont want me for my filming skills but I have lots of contacts in the field they make programs in which is why they are happy to go along with me doing the filming.

I want to use this chance to get me foot in the door in brodcasting.

If anybody has any advice that would be great.

Likewise I've not done any filming TV but I've a question for Swoopie. How come you don't normalise the audio and if you don't normalise how do you know what to set your audio levels to? I've done sound for film and always normalised but then I've not been involved in the final editing process. Cheers, Fraser

What's normailzing got to do with setting audio levels? If they tell you they want the audio to peak at -6db then you adjust the master volume to get there is all. You certainly don't go and normalize it to 100% or the TV engineers won't have any wiggle room. And especially don't use any hard limiting to get your audio levels up unless it's just a bit. A lot of people on the internet treat the audio to their videos as though it were a CD and compress the hell out of it to make it as loud as possible. (What's commonly referred to as the "loudness wars" for radio). It sucks the life out of the sound too. After all, TV stations, like radio stations, are going to be applying compression during the broadcast as it is. Just make it a good healthy level. Unfortunately, I've only come across one book on film/video that even discusses the topic of audio for video in any detail as far as EQ, levels, compression and so forth go, so I'm sure most video guys are in the dark about audio. It was by Tomlinson Holman and it was called Sound for Digital Video. I don't know if it's still in production or not, but you might be able to find a used one at Abes or something.

If you're just making DVDs for customers or video for film festivals, and you don't know much about audio, then I would advise you to simply pay attention to the audio on various store bought DVDs you have, and try to make yours around the same average and peak levels. A little compression/hard limiting is a good thing so that your signal won't have any wild peaks that will blow out tiny TV speakers that a lot of people use rather than some kind of fancy surround set-up. But don't let yourself get carried away with compression. A little goes a long way.

Blog Entries

If I'm reading this correctly, Swoopie, what you're saying is, if the broadcaster asks for sound to peak at -6dB then Normalising to -6dB is actually ensures you're giving the broadcaster what he's requested. At least as far as using the Normalize function within Vegas which normalizes peaks, unlike more sophisticated Normalization which normalizes the RMS of the peaks. Am I right?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, Swoopie, what you're saying is, if the broadcaster asks for sound to peak at -6dB then Normalising to -6dB is actually ensures you're giving the broadcaster what he's requested. At least as far as using the Normalize function within Vegas which normalizes peaks, unlike more sophisticated Normalization which normalizes the RMS of the peaks. Am I right?
    Glad even vetts such as yourself are not 100% sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Glad even vetts such as yourself are not 100% sure.
    Closest I get to broadcast is an airing at an amateur film festival
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast