Thread: Help before my wife kills me I Have Formatted SD Card

Default Help before my wife kills me I Have Formatted SD Card

Hi I have done something over the weekend that has left me feeling sick

I have a small Kodak playsport video camera that when messing about over the weekend I formatted the SD card and have lost a video of my four year olds birthday party

I have purchased some SD Card recovery software from the net and thought my luck was in when it said it found .MOV files and recovered them but none of them play a lot of them look they are going to play and the timer starts counting up but all I get is a black screen

I have not had the heart to tell my wife what I have done yet and would love to know if there is anything more I can do to get the video back

Dave

Blog Entries

What are the file sizes of the videos?

Hi thanks for the reply

That would be pretty big I think the main video is over 400mb as its recorded in HD

Blog Entries

It would be good to know the exact size. If they are small, then it's posible that what you have "recovered" isn't the actual video. What software have you used to try and play back the files?

I'm at work at the moment so when I get home I will give you all that info

Cheers

Dave

so long as you haven't recorded to the card after its been formatted your data should be fully recoverable.

i had good results from a freebie down load but i cant find it on my machine

A colleague had re-formatted his SD card with all his holiday snaps on it. unfortunately he had started to re shoot on the card before realising he hadn't backed up ! so i managed to salvage around two thirds of his originals. i'll do some more digging to see if i can find the software.

edit: here ya go Digital Photo Recovery - Recover lost images and videos from your digital camera memory card!

it really does work. just make sure you download the correct link and dont click on any of the free system scan links.
    Last edited by enc; 12-13-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    It would be good to know the exact size. If they are small, then it's posible that what you have "recovered" isn't the actual video. What software have you used to try and play back the files?
    Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you

OK when I have used the recovery software it has recovered a total of 29 files all various sizes with the biggest being 2.14Gb which if I was to guess that would be the video of my daughters birthday as it was a longish recording

The size of my SD Card is 8gb and in all it ha recovered 8Gb of files if I select all the files it has found

I have tried playing them back in various bits of software with the latest one being VLC player

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    so long as you haven't recorded to the card after its been formatted your data should be fully recoverable.

i had good results from a freebie down load but i cant find it on my machine

A colleague had re-formatted his SD card with all his holiday snaps on it. unfortunately he had started to re shoot on the card before realising he hadn't backed up ! so i managed to salvage around two thirds of his originals. i'll do some more digging to see if i can find the software.

edit: here ya go Digital Photo Recovery - Recover lost images and videos from your digital camera memory card!

it really does work. just make sure you download the correct link and dont click on any of the free system scan links.
    Hi Thanks for the reply

I have to say I have tried serveral programs like that but with no luck I think the problem is that the videos on the card are say 2gb in size so the chance that a file of that size being recovered with out any corruption is slim :(

I think you have more luck with photo's as the file sizes are smaller

Cheers

Dave