Thread: Humming on video

Default Humming on video

I've got a Panasonic NVGS400B and am using lapel microphones for interviewing people. When I download the film to my PC using Pinnacle, I get a background humming noise which is very distracting. Is there anyway I can reduce this? I can't do the interview again, so hopefully I can somehow clean the video? Is the problem likely to be with the camera, the lapel mics or Pinnacle? Any help appreciated.[/img]

What s/w you got access to? Download the 30 day trial of Adobe Audition unless you have something else on offer. It contains some really nice noise reduction filters. basically, you can highlight a section of your soundtrack which just contains the noise tobe removed. Store that as a signature and then apply a removal of it across the whole thing. Works like a charm. Good tututorial of this technique on wrigely video somewhere.

Worth looking at.

If you get no-where email me. I'm sure I can help - at least a bit.

Thanks Alan

I'll download Adobe Audition this evening and see how I get on.

Yeah, I've looked at that tutorial. It uses as its example a guy playing acoustic guitar in a church, but there's a noticeable hum from the air conditioning (I think) in the background. He just identifies the frequency of the hum (it's easier than it sounds) and then eliminates as much or as little as he needs to while preserving the sound he wants to hear. Given the huge numbers of my family videos that are bedevilled by cross-mike wind, it's something I wish I had more time to play with.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

That's the one. go through the tutorial also. You'll need to. it's easy enough but not intuitive the first time you try it.

Me again I'm afraid. I downloaded the Adobe Audition trial and it did a good job of cleaning the hum. However, when I copied the audio wave back into my video on Pinnacle, I'm still getting the hum. Is it Pinnacle or is it me?

I've noticed quite a few negative comments on this site about Pinnacle and maybe I should splash out on Adobe Premier. :idea:

As I'm going to be videoing a lot of interviews I really need to try to sort the hum out. Would the hum be generated by the camcorder or could it be to do with the lapel mics I've been using?

Any advise, as ever, greatly appreciated.

valeriesmith you may find this link helpful
    http://www.pana3ccduser.com/article....e:-A-QC-Issue-

Quote Originally Posted by valeriesmith
    I downloaded the Adobe Audition trial and it did a good job of cleaning the hum.
    I'm glad it worked out.
    However, when I copied the audio wave back into my video on Pinnacle, I'm still getting the hum. Is it Pinnacle or is it me?
    if you play back the sound in one app and it;s ok but import into another and the buzz is back then I reckon either

a) The NLE s/w is at fault; or
    b) It's still playing back the original and you haven't applied the changes in the NLE properly.

Make sure you remove the original sound asset from your NLE and re-import it to confirm you have the new version.

On a slight aside to this, some previous efforts of mine have distorted sound (anyone with the competition DVD will know this ). This is due to the crappy amplifier I have connected to my PC. I edited so it sounds good on that and, of course, I make a DVD and take it downstairs where I have a 'real' amplifier and it sounds awful. I've learned to do all my editing with earphones room now on.

So just make sure you don't have the same issue making your problems worse.

Arthur
    Thanks for the link re the problems people have experienced with my camcorder. I'm relieved to say I don't have the fault they mention and my serial number confirms this. The hum I have sounds more like a frequency noise rather than the film container being loose. The number of faulty camcorders was quite frightening though.

Alan
    Thanks for all your help and advice. I've given up on Pinnacle and have just purchased Adobe Premier Pro - I've been reading the manual and hope to get to grips with it over the weekend. I'm going to start my project from scratch. I notice that Premier has a feature that is supposed to eliminate hum - hopefully!

Valerie

[size=9]Dimension 8400 3.20GHz, 512 RAM, 1024 MB DDR400, 250GB SATA, Sonic DVD/RW+R, Audigy 2 - camcorder Panasonic NV-GS400b
    (all this fancy equipment doesn't mean that I know what I'm doing!)[/size]

Just to let you know that I have resolved the issue of the hum on my videos. I purchased some software called Soundsoap2 from BIAS and it works a treat. It cost around 80 in the UK - much cheaper in the US but it's not possible to download it anywhere - also much cheaper that Adobe Audition. It can be plugged in to Premier Pro, so no need to transfer the audio to another program to clean it, and it's very easy to use.