Thread: Exporting a still to Photoshop

Default Exporting a still to Photoshop

I've never noticed this problem, but when I'm exporting a still that I intend to place text onto, the font is squished and horizontally. It's small, and hardly noticeable if it wouldn't mysteriously become pixelated, ignoring all anti-aliasing.

In the name of the bar where it commonly displays the images size, it says "photoname.tga @ 66.7% {scaled}"

It's that scaled thing I don't understand. I messed around in canvas and images sizes, but I have no idea how to fix this. I ran into it once a couple weeks ago in class, but my prof isn't answering emails right now, and I gotta' reach out to the community.

Thanks in advance. I realize I'm new to this forum still (posted two questions, including this one), but I hope someone knows wassup.

If I've picked you up right, everything is ok. From what you say I think you have exported a still frame of video with non square pixels, opened it in photoshop and it is displaying the pixels as square.

If this is right, just go the the "view" menu and check that "pixel aspect ratio correction" is turned on. If this is right enough it's just photoshop displaying the image as if it's a square pixel image rather than a non square pixel video. When/If you bring it back into your NLE you'll probably need to tell it that it's a non square pixel image.

If so and if your using Premiere right click on the image in your project tab, and depending on your version you have it will either be under "interpret footage" or under "properties" then "interpret footage". You need to change the pixel aspect ratio to suit what ever type of video you are using.

If you don't want to bring the image back into a video editor, you'll need to change the settings in photshop to export it as a square pixel image with the dimensions stretched. I only work with video, so if I told you how to do this it would be an ugly work around method. I'm sure if this is your problem, and if this is what you want to do someone else could tell you a better way.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 12-11-2010 at 10:29 PM.