Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I stop my dvds been copied?

Default How can I stop my dvds been copied?

I am filming a few school plays this year with a view to sell the dvds to the parents.

Is there anyway I make more difficult or better still stop sombody from paying for 1 dvd then making a loads of copies ?

I am using sony vegas 9.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Is there anyway I make more difficult or better still stop sombody from paying for 1 dvd then making a loads of copies ?
    Just make it more attractive for the parents to buy from you.

1. An amount from every DVD sold goes to the school. They're more likely to worry about ripping off the school than you.
    2. Produce a really nice product. Use very high quality DVDs (if you're self burning, use something like the TY Watershields). Use high quality paper inlays in the DVD cases and reasonable quality cases.

Unless you're charging rip off money, people will be happy to pay a few quid/dollars for a good quality "official" product.

Case in point: I put together a DVD of the summer project made by our video club. Nothing special, it contained the film, the inevitable out-takes, two other people's films of the day we spent filming and some before/fater samples of the post production processing. Produed a reasonable case insert & printed DVDs. There are the sort of things people are only going to watch maybe three times (to show different members of their families) and then put away in the cupboard. I offered the package for sale, or offered copies for load from which they could make copies freely. Everyone wanted the full package and was prepared to pay for it with one person buying three copies and another four.
    Tim

Blog Entries

As you may expect, this is a popular question. There's a few things you can do to make it more difficult to copy, including adding macrovision copyright protection. The problem isn't however the casual copier, it's those that know what they're doing, will copy and will copy for those that can't. Perhaps the most effective way is to play on your clients heart strings: if you're donating a share of the profit to charity, people may think twice before copying. Combine this with a keen price, and you'll maximise your potential.

Thanks for your reply.

I am only charging 6 (price of 2 pints) of which 1 goes to the school and the covers are high quality.

I was thinking more along the lines of putting a block of some sort on the dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just make it more attractive for the parents to buy from you.

1. An amount from every DVD sold goes to the school. They're more likely to worry about ripping off the school than you.
    2. Produce a really nice product. Use very high quality DVDs (if you're self burning, use something like the TY Watershields). Use high quality paper inlays in the DVD cases and reasonable quality cases.

Unless you're charging rip off money, people will be happy to pay a few quid/dollars for a good quality "official" product.

Case in point: I put together a DVD of the summer project made by our video club. Nothing special, it contained the film, the inevitable out-takes, two other people's films of the day we spent filming and some before/fater samples of the post production processing. Produed a reasonable case insert & printed DVDs. There are the sort of things people are only going to watch maybe three times (to show different members of their families) and then put away in the cupboard. I offered the package for sale, or offered copies for load from which they could make copies freely. Everyone wanted the full package and was prepared to pay for it with one person buying three copies and another four.

Blog Entries

Tim and I "cross posted" (I wasn't nearly quick enough), but we came to the exact same conclusion based on our own experiences. There are ways of putting protection on DVDs, but the software to get around this has been around for years and is freely available. Take Tim's (better worded) advice and emphasise the good of what you're doing...

We used to rely on people's honesty and hope they would support the schools that wanted video coverage . . . Nope!
    Had a DVD duplication company telephone me to say the principal of a dance show had been in trying to get copies made cause he couldn't do it. He obviously wasn't content to make 3 per copy on top of the 15 we charge the school - he wanted the lot!
    As many have said, you'll never prevent the real geeks from copying, but our sales have risen and we haven't had a pirating problem since having 'Patronis copy protection' added to our show DVDs.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

That is a very sad tale Zero. I hope you reported it to the local rag or at least threatened it - the potential for serious damage to the principal's (and the school's) reputation It is far greater than the income generated by a few pirate sales. It is ignorance which causes this sort of thing and an education system which encourages kids to download anything and everything to put into their PowerPoint presentations - which gives them brownie points in their ICT (and other) coursework. Point being it is often legitimate to do this for "educational" purposes but not for any other ...

BUT ...

this is not pointed out to the kids, so they grow up thinking anything that can be copied for free can be legtimately copied for free. Copyright law (and the reasoning behind it) should be taught in schools.

However, back to the thread: You were producing professional DVDs for sale at 18. You were presumably employed by the school to do this, did a professional job and are entitled to get in return what you deserve. The principal himself is defrauding you.

I get the impression porkypara is in a slightly different position: he is doing this as a bit of a favour and is seeking to cover costs (or maybe make a bit of beer money). At 6.00 per copy he's making sweet FA. At this level, I think people are more likely to be honest and cough up the readies.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ThatI get the impression porkypara is in a slightly different position: he is doing this as a bit of a favour and is seeking to cover costs (or maybe make a bit of beer money). At 6.00 per copy he's making sweet FA. At this level, I think people are more likely to be honest and cough up the readies.
    LOL,like the comment about beer money.

I realisticaly hope to make around 500 from the video sales after the school gets its money.I suppose you could take 100 out of that for costs as well.

Thats for editing and filming 8 plays at my local school.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

Thats for editing and filming 8 plays at my local school.
    ...and producing DVDs and packaging.

That's definitely beer money fo all that work.
    Tim

Our policy is not to charge schools for coverage, but we require a minimum order of 75 copies of each performance. Some order 100s and a few (like the one mentioned) were sticking at the minimum. Then we added the protection, and numbers rose.

The embarassment factor alone when faced with our refusal to cover more shows and the reason why + the the knowledge that his antics were now costing his school video coverage by ourselves and every other operator in the area was more than enough satisfaction for me.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast