Thread: Does Sony Vegas not show anything less then a frame?

Default Does Sony Vegas not show anything less then a frame?

I can't seem to be able to do this, I've searched this forum and have asked in many different forums. I have a text message that I want to insert in my video. The text should only show up for 25 milliseconds. It shouldn't be visible consciously, only subconsciously. Turning off Quantize to frames I was able to edit the text length in the time line using my mouse and clicking the edges (Then moving it).

I would push + until I got down to 1 frame, then I would insert the text. It would come as 1 frame so it would fit perfectly. Then I would click it's edge and move till I made it half a frame. Well I played the video and it worked! I couldn't see the text!

I ran into a problem though, I read somewhere that Sony Vegas can't go lower then 1 frame. Anything lower then that, and it won't show up at all, even if it's 5 milliseconds. Is this true? I would hope not, but I can't even check, because you can't consciously see it anyways!

So if it's less then a frame, it's usually around 20-30 milliseconds, which makes it all most impossible for you to see it consciously. I can't detect if it's even showing for those 20-30 milliseconds! I've also tried editing the actually frame rate to 00:00:00:005, interestingly enough it wouldn't show it and when I right clicked it it said, 0 frames. If it truly can't, is there any program that will?

Sorry for my 1 post question, I hope you don't mind. I tried using the search function, but couldn't find any information.

Blog Entries

I don't know the right answer, but think of this another way. How could one produce a frame of video less than one frame? A frame of video is one of many still that are played together to simulate a moving image. Video standards dictate how many frames (or stills) are displayed per second, which dictates how long each frame would be. So for PAL there are 25 frames per second. So, to play a "frame" for less than the a frame... well that can't happen, can it? It's a bit like asking one second last half a second (or for me to be given a cake and I only eat a quarter).

So, if the length of a frame is dictated by the number of frames per second, yopu need to ramp up your frame rate, don't you?

Why ? why would you even want to do something like this ? Unless you are either a spy trying to hide a secret message. Believe me there are much better ways to hide things than this. OR you think you can subconsciously influence people with a subliminal. Either way both reasons are not good. Please tell me you have a third reason so I can get off my high horse about this sort of thing.

Oh by the way, it can't be done any way. You can not have less than one frame in Sony Vegas and I'm not telling you how you could do it because, as you can tell subliminals are a real pet hate of mine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Either way both reasons are not good. Please tell me you have a third reason so I can get off my high horse about this sort of thing.
    Maybe his audience has a very short attention span?
    Tim