Thread: Critical Analysis of a video

1. Default Critical Analysis of a video

Hey Guys, this is my first time uploading a video to this forum its still not fished as I must add a voice over and credits but from a video side of things any pointers for what I could change within the video?

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Well done for having a go. My comments may come across as negative, but I do appreciate that you have made a real effort to bring life to this video. If you make it through my bad comments, you'll see there's lots I like as well!

It's a bit difficult to know what to say as we don't know who your audience is, what the v/o is going to contain or what message you're trying to get across. But i'm not going to let that stop me!

The thing that stood out like a sore thumb for me was the variable quality of the video. I've just paused at 2.08. OK so there's an awful lot of spray and white water about, but thepicture looks grey and dead. This perhaps wouldn't be so noticable - it might even be a feature - if it was all a bit like this, but immediately afterwards, at 2:10, we have a beautifully crisp and vibrant shot - also full of white water and no doubt spray, but this time full of life.

Similarly, a lot of the film is shakey hand-held stuff. There is really no excuse for this in shots like the landscape pans around 1min. Equally so the skyward looking shot which preceeded these. Was the coloured shadow on that shot an added effect or an optical aberration? It didn't look right to me.

Because the quality of the shots was so variable, I'm afraid I found the flashing FX looked like an attempt at distraction, rather than adding anything to the video. They seemed wholly unnecessary - at least used where they were: for example, the shot of the canoeist at 2.17 burtsing through the rapids and being hurled to a safe and exhuberant landing should surely be exciting enough. Putting a load of flashes over the very point where this excitement occurs only detracts from the action in my view. Much better in the following shots where we are allowed to see the canoeists disappear among the white water, and bobbing up a second later.

Back to the wobbly shots. One bizarre side effect of all this hand held stuff where a tripod could feasibly have been used is that the shots taken from inside the vehicle, where one might normally expect the footage to be a bit shakey, appeared rock steady!

I really liked the sequence where you had the camera strapped to the canoe. In fact there were lots of shots I liked. There was a fair variety, though most shots of the action, as common with this sort of film, tended to be all mid/wide shots. You could really do with getting in to the action with a bunch of close-ups. I have to say some of the variety was a bit strange: I'm not sure that the shakey image of the car at 1:29 added anything to the movie. Also I'd suggest losing the vignett effect. Unless it signifies something, what's the point?

I also liked the fact that you'd pieced it together in such a way as to tell a story. This is essential if you want to keep your audience to the end.

I urge you to include some live ambient sound in the finished product, it can add so much more of a sense of involvement. Cascading water, paddles splashing and yells of exhuberation would add so much to the atmosphere - and provide a nice contrast to the understated music (which I thought worked quite well - it was certainly "interesting")

I wasn't entirely convinced by the style of the opening credits. They seemed more appropriate for a thriller or drama. The final sequence was good (and here, whilst not my cup of tea, I thought the effects were appropriate) although my request that you use a tripod for scenic shots rears it's head again!

Of course, until we get the v/o, it's all a bit meaningless. I'm sure that your script will guide the viewers as to who these people are, why they're doing what they'r edoing. where they're doing it, what's special about it etc etc.

Dunno if any of that is any use to you, but those are my thoughts for now....

3. Default Thank you!

Tim your a Gent, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed answer, I really wasn't expecting it. This video is my first time playing around with color correction and it has been a really interesting learning experience for me so I really appreciate the feedback. I mean even pointing out the shot at 2:10, I should have treated the shot a little better to fit with the rest of the shots. I am actually going for the dull effect with this footage I find its quite fitting with the v/o once I have that produced. As for the shakey camera. What can I say, it has been my biggest regret of the summer not taking the time to pack it in with my equipment, We were traveling quite light this summer and I felt I could leave it at home (how wrong I was) It is definitely top of my list for the next trip, if the camera goes the tripod/stabiliser goes too. As I was saying the shots have been taken and I cannot get more until next summer but I will definitely take all of your advise on board with regards the close ups etc. As for the Vignettes, I totally agree its only after I uploaded the video that I said I wasn't happy and removed it from the Majority of the shots. I will continue fine tuning this video and will upload it to this site as soon as its finished.

Thanks again Tim,

Tim's review was so thorough and spot on that I don't think I have much room for more thoughts, but I do have one tip, kind of piggy backing off of one of Tim's.

The background soundtrack should really engage the viewer. It can make or break a video. I like the music that you have in the video right now. It's simple, yet still has a driving feel to it. But it doesn't go anywhere. It stays the same for 4 minutes. It's not bad, but I thought you might be able to change it up a little and possibly change the mood along with whatever is being said in the voiceover.

I can't really add much to what Tim said but that's never stopped me in the past. The opening titles need revisiting as Tim said, along with the music, I thought I was going to be watching a thriller. I liked the simplicity of them but it didn't work as an intro of a video like this. I think the shaky long shots should be steady, use a tripod when appropriate, with a video like this that's not all the time. The FX for me, was a little to much but I'm not really one for FX like this. I thought you captured things well. Some incredible white water skills.

With a v/o this could be really good.