Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undock the Preview Monitor for Better Performance?

Default Undock the Preview Monitor for Better Performance?

I read a post somewhere or another on the idiotnet where someone said they got less jerky playback on the Vegas preview window by undocking it. Anyone here tried that? I'd be interested in the results. I just did it, and I think it works better on my system. Even that problem with the preview monitor not having enough contrast seems to be better, and the footage looks less broken up. Things look beter all around since I got a new computer monitor anyway though, so I'd like a few more opinions.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 12-03-2010 at 02:15 AM.

You little diamond Swoopie (if it works), I've been struggling with the contrast problem all week. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm rendering right now. AND I'm off to bed, it's very late here.

To bed? You get my hopes up like that, and then go to sleep? You should have been born a woman!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    To bed? You get my hopes up like that, and then go to sleep? You should have been born a woman!
    Read again, Swoopie. Midnight said he was rendering, so he can't test your method anyway, so might as well get some shut-eye. Not only is he a man, but he's a modern man: so fully integrated with his computer such that between them they can only manage one task at once.
    Tim

I think he got it Tim.

I tried it today and to my (very tiered) eyes I couldn't tell the difference. One theory I have is the preview is showing what is really there but either the codec I'm using (mpeg2) crushes the blacks a bit or Windows Media Player does. I burned a DVD which, when played on my TV looks different again. All my TV's are calibrated (by me) so they are balanced with each other but the computer is an LCD and my other TV is rear projection. This just shows no matter how good you are at the fancy colour and contrast during editing, once it leaves your PC, on to DVD or YouTube etc., it can look different on different TVs, PCs.

Well I think it was my imagination now too. Everything seems the same to me. And here's a new pic showing the difference between the contrast of the Vegas preview window versus the one in Magix (which looks just like what I see in Windows Media Player). I captured the same frame in each app and then cropped and combined them in Photo Impact. The tree on the left is from Vegas, the right from Magix:

That just makes me so sad....

Don't be sad. You should give Vegas the credit it may disserve - it may JUST be doing a proper job. Seeing correct previewing is not straightforward, especially if you can't monitor with equipment that is correctly optimised. Making comparisons with subsequent rendering and THEN onto a DVD setup, is asking for trouble. I may not have all the answers, but I do have a lifelong membership to the "Skool of Frustration and Thinning (thinned!) Hair"

Also, you ARE asking the best questions of Vegas. You should ALWAYS do that.

it may JUST be doing a proper job.
    I don't see how. Of all the programs I have that use a preview window including Premiere Pro, Magix, Virtualdub, Any Video Converter, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Audition, TMPGEnc, VLC Media Player, winff, DVDShrink, Flash, Swishmax, along with various software for handling photos and making DVD/CD jackets etc., Vegas is the only one that has a preview window with less contrast than all the others, and all the others look the exact same. It's hard to believe that Vegas is the only one that got it right and all the others are wrong. Even still photos look lighter in Vegas than they do in all the photo apps I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    I don't see how. .......Even still photos look lighter in Vegas than they do in all the photo apps I have.
    You provide compelling "evidence". Even so, which is correct? I'd suggest it would be the preferable to preview media that would reveal detail prior to a contrasty look. We can always add contrast, we can't always see detail.

BTW, have you read the feedback you were given over at the SONY Forum?

Do you really think the others are "contrasty"? All of them? I'm fairly sure Vegas is the culprit. How are you supposed to do proper color correction if you don't have the correct contrast to beging with? I would bet good money that most people working with lighter than normal contrast will end up not realizing that contrast is even the problem, and instead will try to oversaturate colors to make things look right. It's just a bad situation, and Sony needs to put out a fix for it. Until they do, Vegas is impossible to use without adjusting your monitor's contrast every time you enter and leave the program. That's unrealistic.

BTW, have you read the feedback you were given over at the SONY Forum?
    I have, but it wasn't much help I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 12-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast