Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 10 track dolly

1. Default My 10 track dolly

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post up about a mini project I've been working on. I wanted a track dolly so I could get some smooth panning shots. I looked on the internet and most people were favouring skateboard wheels and pvc pipe.

I already had a couple of skateboards I could blag wheels from so I nipped down to Wikes and got a length of timber and some pvc tubing.
    I measured the distance between the feet of my tripod at full extension and used that as a base. I cut the wood to the right lengths and screwed it together using some 90 brackets and used some pieces of Dexion to mount the wheels at 90 to each other.
    Heres some photos:

2. Default

You can't put more than 4 images in one post!

Anyway, altogether the materials cost me less than 11
    Heres a picture of the complete setup 'on location'

And finally, heres a short video I slapped together with footage shot using the dolly.

I am probably going to get brand new skateboard wheels for it. The ones I have have been used on a skateboard and have pits in them from use. Its pretty smooth as it is but I think brand new wheels would be better. They're going to be more expensive than the all of the other materials put together though!

Edd

i assume the jerking is from the vimeo streaming and not from your dolly.

i was going to ask if you had slowed down the footage but the section with the kid resting on his handle bars suggest not.

good stuff edd !

Pretty cool!

Blog Entries

The video demonstrates pretty well how the difference between the shots where it does work and where it doesn't. Anything where the "track" isn't fully supported shows (look at the shot of teh parked bikes just after the 1 min mark and notice the top of the frame). But where it does work it's absolutely superb.
    Where it doesn't work quite as well, it's still one helluva lot better than handheld (and two helluvalot's better than my handheld)

And for a tenner it's pretty amazing.
    Tim

Yknow, I've been lazily considering doing this for a project for next year. I'm wanting some parallax going on.

OK, the Dexion is a real boon for this, but the one piece of detail I crave is just how did you fix the Dexion to the timber?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post

OK, the Dexion is a real boon for this, but the one piece of detail I crave is just how did you fix the Dexion to the timber?

i'd been wonmdering the same thing. if you look at this photo you can see self tapping wood screws fastenibg the dexion to the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    if you look at this photo you can see self tapping wood screws fastenibg the dexion to the wood.]
    Thanks. I can just make 'em out. Had to zoom in on your pointer. Now I'm thinking of another "section" of timber to accomadate the Dexion right-angle.

Also, I've been trying to source some superduper wheels. I've spied them on Stateside suppliers. Can't find them over here.

10. Default

Yeah, I had been planning on doing it for ages, but have only just got round to doing it.
    As already said, just self tappers screwed into the wood at an angle hold the Dexion on. Its a bit of a rush job, I was just doing it to see how effective it was really. Now I know it works quite well I might spend a little more and make something slightly more sturdy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast