Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unsynchronized original .avi files for editing

Default unsynchronized original .avi files for editing

Hello,

I have searched the internet for several days trying to find a solution to my problem. I have several older .avi files that I want to edit. However, whenever I add them to Premiere Pro to work with them, the audio plays fine but the video moves REALLY fast, skipping many frames. It's impossible to work with them this way. They do work in Windows Movie Maker. I'm hoping there is a setting I can adjust so that the video and audio are synchronized.

Can anyone here help?

Thank you.

Thanks for your reply, paulears. I got pretty good at using Windows Movie Maker and decided I'd "move up" to Premiere Pro. But I must confess that I'm very new to it. So, I don't know how to tell what PP says the format is.... I tried different settings in starting up the project (that would give different frame rates and finally used NTSC which appeared to match what I think the actual video fps is). But, there was not improvement in the video. I appreciate your offer of trying out one of the video files yourself and seeing if you can determine the problem.

The files I am hoping to work with are episodes from an old television series, "Dark Shadows." The episode files are very large, but I have an interview of one of the actresses that is less than 20 MB. It is in the same .avi format and has the same problem I've described before. This particular clip is supposed to be 3:42 in length, but the video portion speeds through and ends in 27 seconds (although the audio works fine). Here is a link to the file if you'd like to test it.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I sure hope you can solve this problem! Thanks again.

Thanks very much for trying to solve this problem! Let me know if you think of another forum (or software) I can try.
    Last edited by marke; 12-02-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries

My choice would be to export as DV, and then edit this.

@ paulears

1. I don't have access to the original files. I do not know who compressed them.

2. Wow! 19 mb --> 7 gb! I'm glad adobe ultra worked, but most of the files I'll be working with are MUCH bigger than 19 mb to start with....

3. You can see that the quality of the video is not that terrific to start with. (Some of these files are worse, but they are all I have). I tend to be a perfectionist about things and wouldn't want to surrender any more quality.

@ Marc Peters

I tried your suggestion (I've never exported -- I'm just learning PP). Here's what I did:

1. Used the "Interview" file that I uploaded above and hit Export/Media.
    2. For Export Settings, I used:
    Format: Micorsoft AVI
    Preset: NTSC DV
    3. I hit "OK" and then the Media Encoder opened. I started the encoding. It took a little over 9
    minutes. The resulting file was 803 mb.
    4. Then, I loaded up the new file into PP. It had the same problem as the original -- the audio was
    fine but the (normally) 3:42 minute video completed in only 22 seconds.

If Windows movie maker works ok with the file I think Marc was suggesting that you use that to make a DV .avi file. Just put the video on the time line and render it out at Movie Makers best quality. You will then be able to work with this new file in Premiere Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If Windows movie maker works ok with the file I think Marc was suggesting that you use that to make a DV .avi file. Just put the video on the time line and render it out at Movie Makers best quality. You will then be able to work with this new file in Premiere Pro.
    Thanks for the clarification. I did try this with the "sample" video I uploaded here. And, it did work -- providing me with a file I could use in Premiere Pro. However, the file size went from 20 mb to nearly 800 mb. Most of the original files I am working with average in size from 200 mb to 2.5 gb. It's really not practical for me to convert all these files.

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I appreciate your efforts to solve this problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast