Thread: Something to be aware of ME66/K6 & NV-GS400

Blog Entries

Default Something to be aware of ME66/K6 & NV-GS400

For info:

I asked in another thread about whether I could just use an XLR to 3.5mm converter to plug my recently acquired Senheisser ME66/K6 into my Panasonic NV-GS400 or whether I needed a Beachtek/Juicedlink pre-amp. As the K6 is battery powered the consensus was a converter would do.

However, I hit upon a gotcha that I hadn't considered. When I came to use it in earnest the signal is too loud for the camera. The external mic level on the camera can obviously be adjusted but the range (-30dB to +6dB) is not enough to prevent regular clipping (at 1m one person singing)

So, looks like I'll need a Beachtek/JuicedLink preamp after all to attenuate the signal further. Or buy a new cam with XLRs.

FWIW My Rode VideoMic does not peak (it has a DIP switch which allows one to attenuate the signal by 0, -10 or -20dB and on the advice of someone elase I had that set at -20dB anyway) also the ME66/K6 does not peak using a similar source when used in my Zoom H2 (with input level set to mid or low)
    Tim

Did you use an XLR to mini cord that had a Hi-Z transformer built in? You have to change the impedance you know, especially with a mic like this that has such high sensitivity. Without changing the impedance, not only could you pick up distortion, but the signal would be lacking in low-end. Sure makes some good tranformers for this.

Blog Entries

Y'know what, Swoopie? You're the first person to mention this. I'm on the case. Thanks.
    Tim

I said "Sure" makes good transformers. I of course meant "Shure", or at least they used to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    I said "Sure" makes good transformers. I of course meant "Shure", or at least they used to.
    As an owner of an SM58 (OK, the original was lost by a friend, so technically two SM58s) since about 1978, of course I realised that!

Is this what you mean? Shure - A96F Camcorder Interface

I'm a little confused by two things:
    Firstly the product says it increases the output from the mic, whereas I want to decrease it.

Secondly, the adapter comes set up for 600ohms impedence, but with instructions for re-soldering (gee, thanks guys!) for 150 ohms although it does say "This modification is only
    necessary if the output level from the A96F is insufficient for your recording device."

The mic though has a nominal impedence of 200ohms. What should I select?

Another spanner in the works (of my understanding) is that my Rode Videomic also has a nominal impedence of 200ohms so why isn't that a problem?

Often I find ignorance bliss. This isn't one of those times!
    Tim

They lied... sort of. What they meant was that it's increasing the ohms, which in turn decreases the level. Think of the word "impedance." It's impeding something. In this case the flow of electrons. So the greater the impedance, the more resistance to that flow. That Shure cable is really pricey. Studio1 has one for $30 that should work fine. The output is stereo, so both channels of your audio track will get the same sound from the mono mic instead of just getting sound on one channel like you would if you used a mono cord (depending on how your cam handles mic inputs). If you get something like a JuicedLink though, it'll have a cap built-in to keep power from flowing the opposite direction from the mic input (if it's powered) to the mic (which can damage it). All in all, the Studio1 cord should work fine, but if you really want to play it safe, a JuicedLink or Beachtek is the best way to go if you can afford one, and they're easy enough to sell on Ebay one day when you no longer need it.

PS, My first microphone back in the early 80s was an SM58 which I used to mic my guitar amp for nearly ten years.
    Last edited by Swoopie; 12-02-2010 at 12:03 AM.

As a fellow SM25 owner, I just wanted to be in the gang. As for the other stuff you've been talking about. Way above my head.

Blog Entries

Thanks Swoopie. That makes sense. I was shocked at the price too, buit I've yet to research what I can get in the UK (or on eBay)
    Interesting you used an SM58 for guitar - the SM57 was more commonly used for that!
    Tim

I was in my early 20s and poor as could be. I found the sm58 used at a price I could afford and found that if you take the ball off the SM58 you basically turn it into an SM57 as that's the only different between them. Sometimes I left it on though because it had less highs that way and took some of the edge off the sound which made it better for jazz, and jazz/fusion was what I cut my teeth on.