Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rode Video mic

Default Rode Video mic

been doing research on this forum and get the distinct impression that the rode video mic is a no no. are they really that bad ?

Blog Entries

I'm one of those who dismisses the Rode. I find it has a plasticky sound and is dreadful for picking up handling noise. The "suspension" system (at least on mine) simply creaks if the mic is moved more than a fraction or very slowly. Because of the design of the mic, you're stuck with this system.

However, needs must, and back in September I it was all I had when I recorded filmed the following. Perhaps because I'd had bad experiences with it before, my expectations were low, or perhaps because it was in a noisey external environment, it didn't seem quite as bad as I'd remembered. You will hear some handling noise on the video and you should also bear in mind that I have enhanced some of the audio as well so this isn't a true "vanilla" flavour of the Rode. This was hand held, just out of shot, with the foam windsheild and a "dead cat" windgag.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...seil-film.html
    Tim

Thanks tim. i didnt think that was too bad ! certainly better than the the on board mic could have achieved in the situation. the opening shot i think was a little muffled picking up perhaps a little more ambient sound tyhan was ideal. your piece to camera was fine i thought. however, like you mentioned..... handling knock's were evident here and there.

was all audio recorded with the rode ?
    Last edited by enc; 12-06-2010 at 08:03 PM.

any more opinions on the Rode ?

Blog Entries

How odd: I'd responded to your response to my response (if you see what I mean) but must have failed to post.
    All I was going to say was in response to your comment about the difference between the sound of the opening shot and the rest was that this film is inadvertantly a perfect demonstration of how proximity has a far greater effect on the quality of sound than the cost of the mic.

It was indeed all recorded with the rode in identical conditions except that in the opening shot the mic was about 10 feet from the subject, whereas in the "intervew" shots it was just out of camera (in fact it creeps in on occasions). The difference is clear.
    Tim

I think an external mic is going to have to go on the back burner a while. after the recent camera purchase and it being so close to christmas i dont want to be spending the kind of money i need to be doing for something half decent. i've been looking at the rode video mic examples on youtube and I'm not at all impressed.

Though the Rode video mic can get decent audio when used correctly as far as placement goes, it's not a good professional choice with it's 3.5mm cable that doesn't allow for the long cable runs necessary for proper boom work. For someone starting out I suggest the Rode NTG-2. It's got a decent sound, and is has XLR connections. It also runs on battery if you don't have Phantom power available. Personally I really like the NTG-3 for my uses.

However if you are someone who just wants a mic mounted on their consumer camera, the VideoMic is a great choice! It sounds better than the other mics in it's class, employing the same capsule as the NTG-1 & NTG-2. If your camera doesn't have XLR inputs the only way to get a more professional mic on is with a mixer.

Well, I looked into getting a Rode Video-mic & even looked at the SVM cause I wanted a mic for my 5D2.
    Using XLR connector wasn't an option cause I wanted it all very compact and simple.

Tried the Video Mic and it felt cheap and also it is not all that!

I tried an Audio Technica Pro 24-CM, Loved it and bought it! Its smaller, it is stereo and the quality is good! (and it came with a free dead kitten style wind jammer for free!) oh and it was the same price as the Rode Videomic!

What you're missing out on by not getting the new Rode VideoMic PRO is that it has a 20db boost. No other mic has that. The boost will allow you to turn down the recording level on your DSLR, greatly reducing that terrible hisssssssssss that I'm sure you're getting. More gain = less hiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo@Aframe View Post
    Well, I looked into getting a Rode Video-mic & even looked at the SVM cause I wanted a mic for my 5D2.
    Using XLR connector wasn't an option cause I wanted it all very compact and simple.

Tried the Video Mic and it felt cheap and also it is not all that!

I tried an Audio Technica Pro 24-CM, Loved it and bought it! Its smaller, it is stereo and the quality is good! (and it came with a free dead kitten style wind jammer for free!) oh and it was the same price as the Rode Videomic!
    thanks for the heads up Mo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast