Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE:HELP NEEDED WITH TRANSFER OF VIDEO TO DVD

Default RE:HELP NEEDED WITH TRANSFER OF VIDEO TO DVD

Greetings to all from the uk, I am new to video editing and have been trying out Adobe Premier Elements (waiting for the full programme to come via post should get it by tomorrow), What I want to know is this which format do I export the video to DVD in for playback on a stand alone home dvd player is it MPEG2.

And also do I edit the video in DV AVI format,render the video and then convert the video to MPEG2 before exporting to DVD, My sincere thanks for any help received. I use my camcorder to record warm up gigs for my friends Rock band.
    HELPING OTHERS COSTS NOTHING BUT GIVES EVERYTHING

I'm not sure what the workflow is in Elements but DVD production certainly does want MPEG2. but there is another step. you do not just burn MPEG2 files to a DVD and put it in your DVD player.

Basically 3 stages to go through to end up with a DVD

1. Edit the raw footage with Premiere Elemants etc
    2. Encode to MPEG2 with VirtualDub ( Free download here http://www.virtualdub.org ) or similar
    3. Import these into a DVD authoring software, insert menus etc if wanted, and then burn

Each process has its fair share of quirks and intricacies, and sometimes problems.

Have a good look around the DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring section on this site for more detailed explanations of DVD making

Best of luck, Shiner

Certainyl the noirmal workflow. But he's using Premiere Elephants - an all-in-one package hence my comment about not being sure what the workflow was for him.

With the band videos I will be editing approximately 2 hours of video consisting of two 1 hour mini dv tapes which I hope to transfer as one 2 hour DVD is this possible with premier elements using dual layer Discs?

how do I convert the edited footage for use on a home stand alone DVD player using Premier Elements. and once again many thanks for any help received and for your prompt replies to my post.

I'd stick away from using DL discs for the time being - partly because of the cost involved and partly because i believe some players have trouble with dual layer DVD-/+Rs

Thanks for the prompt reply Mike the DVD players being used to play back the footage are Dual layer compatible and the cost is no problem as I need the best quality I can get with what I have to hand, and the dual layer DVD format will allow me to have a full 2 hours of quality video on the one DVD. (I dont as yet have the cash for a full size DV camera which will obviously allow me to record the gigs onto one tape.)

If Premiere Elements is anythignlike Premiere Prop then it will have some sort of "Export to DVD" option at its simplest level. in Premiere Pro this builds and cuts a simple, no frill auto play DVD of your current timeline.

I know Elements has functionality allowing you to build menus for your DVD and so you can "do a proper job".

I suggest it's time to RTFM

Yes your right Alan premier Elements does have an export to DVD option, I take it that this will export a playable video file to the DVD I can play back on my stand alone player. Thanks for the quick replies Oh wise ones and for your wisedom.

Quote Originally Posted by G0UDG
    Yes your right Alan premier Elements does have an export to DVD option, I take it that this will export a playable video file to the DVD I can play back on my stand alone player. Thanks for the quick replies Oh wise ones and for your wisedom.
    I can only confirm that that is what it's listed as doing in Premiere Pro. I've never used the function though so can't confirm from personal experience.

As long as you have compatible media for your set-top player it should be ok.

I do know Elements will allow you to create menus and stuff as well so well worth getting the manual out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast