Thread: Not conforming sound

1. Question Not conforming sound

Hi guys, first post and I'll just say I'm glad I joined the forum and found this site in the first place, I'm excited to learn from everyone else's editing skills and advice to further my own work

The problem I am having is in Adobe Premiere elements 2.0. I'm thinking it is not a problem with that specific version so I am posting it in this sub-forum.

When I import a media file and double click to display it in the moniter window or place it in the timeline; the file is there and plays and there is an audio box below, but there is no audio (mute). I haven't recently fiddled with any settings (although maybe I clicked something accidentally?). The file is not one I am using only recently, I have been importing and making videos with the same camera and file type for 2 years and this just happened out of the blue. Even if I import a file that has already been imported the new file is now mute. This project I am doing is one of the larger ones I have done so I am thinking maybe that I have imported too many files and it is blocking the audio or something? When I import the file there is no loading at the bottom right (like there normally is) that shows the video is being indexed or conformed. I don't have anything else running while I edit. That's all the information I can think of to help for now. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Blog Entries

As you think this may be specific to the project you're working on, have you tried importing footage into a new project? If this works, you can import your old project into this new project.

3. Default

Hi Marc, thanks for your input. I tried your advice and opened a new project. I imported a media file and there was sound. To be sure I imported the same file(s) that were importing with no sound yesterday into this new project they still imported with NO sound. As I said before the audio box is still there it is just blank or muted. I opened Sony Vegas and imported the same media file into Vegas and the audio DOES work. So the problem seems to be with Adobe AND these particular files, which is strange because these files are no different than all of the others.

There was a problem with my storage harddrive yesterday and it seemed to keep turning off. The harddrive is where all the videos are stored and as I was editing the harddrive turned off. I changed it's USB port and it Hasn't malfunctioned again. Do you think by it shutting down during my editing it may have corrupted some files?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A-doh-be View Post
    I tried your advice and opened a new project. I imported a media file and there was sound. To be sure I imported the same file(s) that were importing with no sound yesterday into this new project they still imported with NO sound.
    How big are the clips you are importing and how much space do you have left on your drive? It's possible that you don't have sufficient space to create the conformed audio. You could try cutting the clip(s) into smaller parts, and then try importing these into your project.

5. Default

Hi Marc,
    The files are between 15MB to 30MB and I have about 20GB left on my hard drive. I don't think it would be to do with space as I can import files from other folders and the sound is imported (and conformed). The media cache files for this project is about 6GB if that tells you anything.

Blog Entries

I'm stumped! As a workaround, I would attempt to create uncompressed WAV files from your video files, and then link these to the original video files in Premiere.