Thread: Book Trailer: "Absolute Truth Exposed"

Default Book Trailer: "Absolute Truth Exposed"

Here is a book trailer I just completed for a client out in Colorado. I'm posting it to demonstrate the editing techniques (this is NOT an endorsement of the book).

With the exception of one hand-drawn piece, all of the animation was done using the Sony Vegas Pro 9 program. The trailer makes extensive use of the 'page roll' transition. However, for this work I had to develop a technique for using the 'page roll' effect on three stacked video tracks simultaneously. It was accomplished using a transparent piece of video on the upper tracks holding the text.

Constructive feedback appreciated:

Last edited by worddigger; 12-17-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Perhaps you've found your forté - making book trailers that are better than the "professional" ones available on the internet.

Being hyper-critical:

Content-wise I found it a bit unbalanced, the "other truths" bit came as a bit of a surprise throwaway at the end, particularly after the stills section which had lost my interest. By that time I already knew what the book was about and I was either going to buy the book or not - and the content here didn't really add anything to that decision process. The additional subject matter, on the other hand, might affect my decision.

I thought the animation was good - it enhanced the video without distracting.
    One thing I'd have done differently - I'd have gone for a rotation on the hypnotist's watch rather than a straight left/righ pan (0:23)
    The only "bad" I spotted was the image going out of frame in the spin at around 1:04.

I'm interested in the problems you had with page-roll. I haven't tried to recreate the problem and play with your solution as I'm unclear what the problem was. Are you saying you had three tracks that you needed to page roll as one? I know this can get a bit hairy and the way I'd have done it would have been to render the three tracks into one first or use a nested veg for the three tracks. I'm interested in your solution.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Perhaps you've found your forté - making book trailers that are better than the "professional" ones available on the internet.

Are you saying you had three tracks that you needed to page roll as one? I know this can get a bit hairy and the way I'd have done it would have been to render the three tracks into one first or use a nested veg for the three tracks. I'm interested in your solution.
    First of all, thanks for the above comment. Perhaps I have found my ecological niche.

As to your last paragraph. Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Ordinarily, I would also have composited the three tracks into one and then use a single "page roll" transition. However, inspiration struck while wrestling with the problem. (see uploaded screen shot).

capture.jpg

It is no problem synchronizing the timing of three tracks in the stack, the problem is that "page roll" transition (or any transition effect in Vegas) MUST have a piece of 'video' info on each side of the transition to work against. In this example, the main video info is on the bottom line and there is text data keyed over it on the two upper lines. The problem is to get all three tracks to page roll" at the same time, on the live timeline.

The bottom line is no problem, of course, as the video it works against are the next part of the timeline presentation. But if you put video on the tracks above the bottom one, in order to make the next track up do the same effect, that video will block what is on the line below it UNLESS the video used on the two upper tracks was invisible. And that I how I did it.

I took the text effect for letters on a transparent background, erased all the text data, then used that transparent piece of 'video' on the two upper channels to work against the top two lines. The presence of the transparent 'video' gave the "page roll" a video source to work against. And, since it was transparent, the bottom track came through unaffected because the two pieces of 'video' above it are invisible. The apparent effect is that all three tracks roll over as if they were one.
    Last edited by worddigger; 11-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.

You know, I'm with Tim on the watch thing, but it didn't bother really bother me. The thing I didn't particularly care for was the photo of the guy at the beginning sitting by a river. It just didn't fit the rest of the video in my opinion. And what was with the biblical stuff toward the end? It didn't seem to have much to do with the rest of the book. Of course that's not your fault. It just seemed kind of a strange.

I thought the video was excellent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    You know, I'm with Tim on the watch thing, but it didn't bother really bother me. The thing I didn't particularly care for was the photo of the guy at the beginning sitting by a river. It just didn't fit the rest of the video in my opinion. And what was with the biblical stuff toward the end? It didn't seem to have much to do with the rest of the book. Of course that's not your fault. It just seemed kind of a strange.

I thought the video was excellent though.
    You give the client what he or she wants.

Yeah, I know. The video looked great though.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    One thing I'd have done differently - I'd have gone for a rotation on the hypnotist's watch rather than a straight left/righ pan (0:23)
    In hind-sight, I'm inclined to agree with you on this. Oh well, that is the good thing about this forum; you get good feedback to do things even better the next time.
    Thanks

Nice one Digger. I don't think the watch is a problem as the panning out to reveal the whole image shows why it's "swing" movement was not natural. I think the guy holding it looks a bit like Tony Blair !)

Excellent voice over, as we have come to expect from you and the sound FX fit very well. The high light for me was the chemistry symbols moving over the image of the body near the beginning and the wine tipping out of the glass.